DataSet can't connect to RDS

Hello,
Today my datasets can’t connect to RDS.
Until yesterday everything was working fine. No change on configuration setup has been made.
The error i have is :

region: eu-west-1
timestamp: 1707751051451
requestId: xxxxxxxx
sourceErrorCode: -1
sourceErrorMessage: Could not connect to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:3306: Received fatal alert: protocol_version
sourceErrorState: 08
sourceException: java.sql.SQLNonTransientConnectionException
sourceType: MARIADB

Any hints?

Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

@Giuseppe there could be n things…
Make sure the credentials are correct, if your rds under VPC, make sure all the rules are properly setup.

also, what’s your MariaDB version?

then try simple query, select count(1) from {table_name}
see what you get. debug further

I’ve experienced the same error. Also running MariaDB on RDS and suddenly Quicksight can’t connect to it. Other DB / visualisation tools can still connect and interact with it without issue.

Looking on RDS I see a weekly maintenance task was completed on mine last night to update from Maria DB 10.5.22 to 10.5.23. After which I began encountering the same Error with Quicksight datasets. I can only assume it’s related and perhaps some version incompatibility?

1 Like

@MattE , which certificate is currently being used ?

@Giuseppe , which version and certificate ?

Kind regards,
Koushik

Thanks @Koushik_Muthanna

The certificate is a ‘rds-ca-2019’

Thanks to all for your contribution.

MariaDb Engine is 10.6.16.
Certificate is “rds-ca-2019”

Configuration was correct until two days ago. I didn’t change anything, so I suppose is not a setup issue related.

Looking at my VPC connection setup (inside quicksight), I can see EXECUTION ROLE is empty but i don’t remember if it had a value before.
If I try to setup an execution role, the only option I have is “aws-quickisght-service-role-v0” but SAVE button stay disabled.

thanks @Koushik_Muthanna

@MattE , @Giuseppe ,

Please verify vpc connections as well as we have minimum requirement of 2 subnets .

Looking at my VPC connection setup (inside quicksight), I can see EXECUTION ROLE is empty but i don’t remember if it had a value before.
If I try to setup an execution role, the only option I have is “aws-quickisght-service-role-v0” but SAVE button stay disabled.

The documentation provides details on how to setup. Execution role is required.

We have the same problem. We have configured an instance with several RDS data sources that have been working until the last scheduled update. We have checked that they are working and it doesn’t seem to be a connection problem to the RDS instance as we can connect from our applications. But from Quicksight all our data sources that had scheduled automatic updates are failing.

@Koushik_Muthanna I’ve confirmed the VPC setup is all correct.

Quicksight can connect successfully to another MariaDB database in the same VPC and security group.
That database is on version 10.6.15 (in case it’s relevant)

@Giuseppe apologies for jumping into your thread. Hoping there’s a solution for us both.

@MattE , @Giuseppe , @rbermejo ,

Thanks for the details. I would recommend to open a support ticket as they can debug further.

Here are the steps for opening a support ticket - Creating support cases and case management - AWS Support . If your company has someone who manages your AWS account, you might not have direct access to AWS Support and will need to raise an internal ticket to your IT team or whomever manages your AWS account. They should be able to open an AWS Support case on your behalf

We’re having the same issue which appeared to start happening on Sunday without any change on our side apart from the standard RDS maintenance.

We raised a support ticket and they asked us to try upgrading the database to 10.6.14 (from our current version 10.5.23). This did fix the connection issue on one of our development databases but we told them we can’t warrant unplanned database upgrades in production so they have escalated to the Quicksight internal team.

1 Like

@MattE no problem at all.
I’m happy if we can collect more info to solve this issue for everybody.

I’m going to open a support ticket as others advised.

I’ll post news if have any…

1 Like

i also the same error message. MariaDB on RDS and suddenly Quicksight can’t connect to it. Other connect and interact with it works without issue.

Who solved this issue?

Hi all,

The latest reply from support:

Yes, we are aware of the issue and have identified that certain versions of MariaDB are no longer accepting traffic when the TLS version used in connectivity is TLS1 or TLS1.1. So far it appears that instances with DB version 10.4.32, 10.5.23, 10.6.16, 10.10.7, 10.11.6, 11.0.4, 11.1.3 are impacted

The team have a fix for this issue now and they are in the process of deploying which will allow us to connect using TLS 1.2 or 1.3 for the impacted instances. Fix will be deployed by EOD 2/16 (today). If there are any changes to this timeline please be assured that I will notify you.

1 Like

We were able to update the MariaDB engine from 10.5.23 to 10.6.16 this week which has solved the issue for us.

idem! Me too.

nothing to do in my configuration. Everything is working again now.

good news.

Yep, working here too.