Enabling a default aggregate level hierarchy group in line graphs

I am having trouble creating a top level ‘aggregate hierarchy’ when using line charts (or any other chart for that matter) in quicksight. For example see in the below graph. On the left I want to have the top level of the hierarchy - the total number of logins. Once the user drills down however I want this to be split up into the log ins per device type (iPhone, Android and Desktop).

When I try this however it always defaults to to the second level (unless I don’t include anything in colour well in which it defaults to the sum of total log ins aka my desired top layer). Note that I don’t have a field for total log ins per day or anything like that. I am currently using a field called ‘log in ID’ which is summed when added to the value well. As soon as I try adding this to the colour well I get way too many lines on the graph (one for each unique log in ID). I have tried creating a calculated field that sums the log ins for each day but not sure how to go about it. Every time I try I get an error message - “Custom aggregation fields cannot be used as a measure”. Please let me know how/if this is the best approach. Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out. One way to solve this is to create an extra column in the data and just populate it with “All Device Types” for every row. You can then place that field on Color and then also place the Device Type field right under that field on color. This is an example of what that could look like.

Best,
Sean

Hi, @Adam_Hollier. Did @SeanBoon’s solution work for you? I am marking his reply as, “Solution,” but let us know if this is not resolved. Thanks for posting your questions on the QuickSight Community Q&A Forum!