QuickSight may have difficulties recognizing a lot of city names

When attempting to plot various Finnish cities on a QuickSight map, I encountered an issue where only a limited number of them (Espoo, Kauniainen, Koli, Mariehamn, Nastola, Niinisalo, Parola, Piikkiö) are recognized. Most, including “Helsinki,” do not appear on the map. Interestingly, when I replace “Helsinki” with “Espoo” (a neighboring city), it displays correctly. This suggests that QuickSight may have difficulties recognizing certain city names. Could anyone offer assistance with this?

Here is the list of cities:
Alajärvi, Enontekiö, Espoo, Eurajoki, Forssa, Hämeenkyrö, Hämeenlinna, Hamina, Hanko, Helsinki, Hki, Hollola, Iisalmi, Imatra, Isokyrö, Jämsä, Joensuu, Jyväskylä, Kajaani, Kalajoki, Kankaanpää, Kannus, Kauniainen, Kauppa-Aho, Kerava, Kittilä, Kokkola, Koli, Kotka, Kouvola, Kuopio, Kurikka, Lahti, Laitila, Lappeenranta, Laukaa, Lauttasaari, Lempäälä, Leppävirta, Mariehamn, Mikkeli, Muurame, Nastola, Niinisalo, Nokia, Orimattila, Oulu, Parola, Piikkiö, Pori, Porvoo, Pyhäjoki, Raisio, Ranua, Rovaniemi, Saarijärvi, Savonlinna, Seinäjoki, Sipoo, Soini, Tampere, Tampere, Tohmajärvi, Tornio, Turku, Tuusula, Tyrnävä, Vääksy, Vaasa, Valkeakoski, Vantaa, Varkaus, Veikkola, Vesilahti, Ylivieska, Ylöjärvi

Hello @yusheng, welcome to the QuickSight Community!

Thank you for letting us know. I would recommend filing a case with AWS Support where we can
dive into the details so that we can help you further. Here are the steps to open a support case. If your
company has someone who manages your AWS account, you might not have direct access to AWS
Support and will need to raise an internal ticket to your IT team or whomever manages your AWS account. They should be able to open an AWS Support case on your behalf. Hope this helps!

This is not the first time I have seen mention of issues mapping some cities, so I think further assistance may be required to find a solution.

Thank you for your response @DylanM. Unfortunately, we are unable to create a support case as we do not have a support plan. Are there alternative methods or resources available that could assist us in resolving this issue?

Hello @yusheng, would you try looking at this documentation for geospatial data types and hierarchies and make sure your fields are set up correctly? Maybe something isn’t quite right with how it is set up in the dataset in QuickSight and this could lead you to a solution.

If your data looks like it is set up correctly and it still doesn’t work as expected let me know and I can tag this as a feature request for the Service Team. Thank you!

Hello @yusheng, did you have any luck with updating the geospatial hierarchies, or is this still an issue? Please let me know so I can tag this topic appropriately for our Support Team.

Hello @yusheng, since we have not heard back I will mark my previous response regarding updating the geospatial hierarchies as a solution. If that doesn’t work for your use case, please let me know and I will also tag this as a feature request. Thank you!