Schedule report on behalf of a user

We keep getting asked for this by several customers already.

There is a need for admins to be able to schedule email reports on behalf of a user, through an API.

Basically, we are talking about a mutli-tenant solution, where admins are super-admins and they manage the tenants and need to setup the tenant user with these emailed reports.

Any idea if this can be done now? If not, is this on a roadmap?

The only hack solution I can think of is to generate an embed URL session for the user, and then scrape it using Puppeteer for example to generate a PDF report. Then also email it using SES. But this seems like a lot of work, for something that seems to be almost there already.

2 Likes

Was just logging in to ask the exact same thing. I’ve had to remove all email reports due to confusion because some people were getting them and others weren’t. Huge loss of functionality for my customers. Need to be able to create, and add people to email reports via the API! Would be great to get a roadmap preview of updates to email reports if there is anything available. I’m also starting to plan expensive work arounds that seem like a waste of time and money.

This is similar to a request I’ve made too. Definitely would like more APIs for executing reports and emailing them to users.

Scheduled Reports for Embedded Dashboards - Question and answer - Amazon QuickSight

Actually, this seems to be possible now! :tada:

1 Like

@m0ltar Can you share the solution.

Thanks in advance.

Heh, no idea now tbh, I remember finding the solution, but cannot find it now. We’ve never implemented it, so I have no reference :frowning:

Hi all! Thanks for your feedback. At AWS, our roadmap is primarily driven by our customers. Your feedback helps us build a better service. We have marked this as a feature request and are looking into it.