Selecting Financial year Months

Hi Experts,

I have requirement as follows,
Analysis has 2 reports One report has 2024 current year chart shows values for months in the current Financial Year , On the 2023 year - Financial Year User count (YTD) shows values for the same months of Current year in the previous years of Financial year.

Financial Year start from current year April & ends with next year march ( Ex : Financial year of 2023 - will have April 2023 to March 2024 months)

for this requirement I have created year parameter to make it dynamic selection of required year

so for example if we are in Dec 2024, If I select 2024 in parameter - Financial Year User count (YTD) should have data from April 2024 to March 2025 and the same months are applied on the parameter 2023 - Planning Year User Journey (YTD) chart for the previous year

Thanks

1 Like

Hello @ArnaJi88, is the parameter for year a datetype value and does the user have the ability to alter it through a control that utilizing calendar selection? The best solution for an issue like this would be to use the parameter selection in a calculated field to filter rather than applying it directly as a filter.

The calculation would look like this:

ifelse(
(truncDate('YYYY', ${YearParameter}) = truncDate('YYYY', {Date}) AND extract('MM', {Date}) >= 4) OR
((extract('YYYY', ${YearParameter}) + 1) = extract('YYYY', {Date}) AND extract('MM', {Date}) <= 3), 
{Date},
NULL
)

Then, using this calculated field, you could return the date field or another field you are wanting to use in a visual if you are excluding dates. That should ensure only the values you are wanting will return when selecting a year.

I’ll mark this as the solution, but please let me know if you have any follow-up questions. Thank you!

It seems like you’re working on implementing a dynamic reporting tool that handles financial year data based on a user-selected parameter. The way you’ve described setting up the year parameter sounds appropriate for the requirement you’ve outlined. Here’s a clarification and confirmation of your setup based on your description:

Financial Year Definition: Your financial year starts in April of the selected year and ends in March of the following year. For instance, the financial year for 2023 spans from April 2023 to March 2024.
Dynamic Year Selection: You have created a year parameter that allows users to dynamically select the financial year for which they want to view data.
Report Configuration:
Current Year Report: When a user selects a year, e.g., 2024, this report will display data from April 2024 to March 2025.
Previous Year Comparison: Alongside, you also display data for the corresponding months but from the previous year. If 2024 is selected, the comparison will show data from April 2023 to March 2024.
Implementation:
You’ve likely configured the data source to dynamically shift the data window based on the selected year parameter. This means that selecting a different year in the parameter adjusts the data range automatically to fit the defined financial year for both the current and the previous year’s reports.
Here’s what you need to ensure for correct implementation:

Parameter Setup: The year parameter should be set up to influence the data queries such that they fetch data spanning from April of the selected year to March of the following year.
Data Queries: Ensure that your queries are correctly accessing the right slices of data based on the parameter. This might involve calculated fields or date functions that align the data according to the financial year boundaries.
Validation: Test the reports by selecting different years in the parameter to ensure that the reports correctly reflect the data for the selected year and its comparison with the previous year.
If you encounter any specific issues or need further clarification on setting up certain aspects of the reports, feel free to ask!
Libgen

1 Like