Sorting Error on Visual with periodToDateAvgOverTime Calculated field

In a PivotTable, using a periodToDateAvgOverTime calculated field with another field to show the monthly value as well as the running year-to-date total, however, when sorting the periodToDateAvgOverTime column on the visual I receive the following error message:

“Please contact the QuickSight team to resolve this issue”

Below is the calculated field, if needed, to help troubleshoot:

periodToDateAvgOverTime(distinct_count({user_id}),{completion_date},YEAR)

Hi @jtuten ,

I could not replicate this. Could you tell me more about your data and your pivot table? See image for my dataset with YoYAverage field, sorted. Is there anything unique about your underlying dataset?

In general, when you hit an error like, it’s worth creating a ticket to AWS support team. They can look at your Quicksight instance, the error logs and see what lead up to the error.

ws

1 Like

Including actual image…

1 Like

@wstevens01 thanks for taking a look!

My PivotTable is as follows:

• Rows: Course Title
  • Columns: Completion Date (Monthly aggregation)
  • Values: User IDs (count distinct), periodToDateAvgOverTime calculated field
  • Controls: Start Date, End Date, and Course Type

I have noticed that if I sort the User ID column in descending order and then add in the periodToDateAvgOverTime calculated field that the Course Title row reverts to A → Z sorting order. Any attempt to sort either the User ID or periodToDateAvgOverTime calculated field results in the highlighted error. For reference, attached is a screenshot before any sorting has been applied. Thanks again!

Hello @jtuten, are you still having issues with the sorting error that you were experiencing or were you able to resolve it?

Hello @jtuten, for a complex issue like this I would recommend filing a case with AWS Support where we can dive into the details so that we can help you further.

Here are the steps to open a support case. If your company has someone who manages your AWS account, you might not have direct access to AWS Support and will need to raise an internal ticket to your IT team or whomever manages your AWS account. They should be able to open an AWS Support case on your behalf.

Hope this helps!”