What are the steps necessary for adding an IAM-user to Amazon QuickSight with a Reader role?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Hi @Eero_Lehtonen -

I’m sorry to hear about the frustration. The reason you are having trouble is that the READER role is not supported in QuickSight Standard Edition.

See Amazon QuickSight FAQs - Business Intelligence Service - Amazon Web Services

I have a Standard Edition account. Can I add readers?
No, Readers with pay-per-session pricing only exist in Enterprise Edition. If you have a Standard Edition account, you can upgrade to Enterprise Edition via the QuickSight management page.

Your admins can provision admin/author roles or you can setup self-provisioning with quicksight:CreateUser action. The CreateReader will not work with Standard Edition and you will get errors like below.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

It’s good to hear you have Enterprise and not Standard. That creates some options through the use of IAM policies. IAM policy examples for Amazon QuickSight - Amazon QuickSight

1. You can allow users/roles to self-provision with the quicksight:CreateReader action, see Provisioning users for Amazon QuickSight - Amazon QuickSight.

2. Your admins can use the CLI register-user — AWS CLI 1.22.91 Command Reference to register the readers.

Note: Since these methods don’t invite the users by email they won’t be notified on how to sign in, see Managing user accounts in Amazon QuickSight Enterprise edition - Amazon QuickSight.

1 Like

Thank you this seems to do the trick! I’ll test it today.