A Parameter to Enable Copy of filters from one visual to another

Hello everyone,

I have two visuals having same type of filters as shown here.

So we have

1. Visual1 & Filters1 (as shown above)
  2. Visual2 & Filters2 (same as the above)
    both the Visuals are under 1 sheet

Currently Filters1 only apply on Visual1 & Filters2 only apply on Visual2.

I want to achieve the following, lets say I set some values in Filters1 and given some control/button, when turned “ON” Filters1 should be applied to the whole sheet i.e for both the visuals and when turned “OFF” Filters1 should only filter Visual1 & Filters2 should only filter Visual2.

1 Like

Hello @nflavier, there really isn’t built in capabilities for this functionality at the moment. The only option I can think of as a work-around would basically require a button to update a parameter value. It could be something as simple as a Parameter that will change from False to True when the button is clicked. Then you would need to run values being returned in the remaining sheets in an ifelse statement that would check if the filter parameter was set to true, then would also check the parameter values set by the controls that are not directly linked to return the appropriate values.

I’ll write up an example for how this might look for the category filter specifically. One thing to note, when the Select All option is set, it basically sets the parameter value to NULL, so that is something that will need to be considered.

ifelse(
${Filter Parameter} = 'False', {Category},
${Filter Parameter} = 'True' AND (${Category} = {Category} OR isNull(${Category})), {Category},
NULL
)

Basically, if the Filter Parameter is false, we will return all categories, but if it is true, we will return the category that matches the parameter value set in the filter or all categories if select all is true. One thing to note, if you are using multi-value parameters in the above controls, this functionality will not work. Only single value parameters can be used in calculated fields. This may be tedious, but it is the only alternative option that I can think of to implement in order to get your expected solution. Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

thanks Dylan will try out this given method, I forgot to mention visual1 and visual2 do not belong to the same dataset. Then how will I set the value ${Category} from visual 2 to {Category} from Visual 1 and all filters are multiselect dropdown.

Hi, @nflavier

I’ve tried it this way and worked fine for use case, which may help you with yours:
Given scenario:
1 - the main filter, filter1, on the top of the page, is from dataset1
2 - chartA is using data from datasetA supposed to be filtered also by a filter2A, specific for that chart, which is dependent on the value filtered in the filter1
2 - chartB is using data from datasetB supposed to be filtered also by a filter2B, specific for that chart, which is dependent on the value filtered in the filter1

so, in order to create the filter2B - which is dependent from filter1 but relies on differents datasets
I needed to

• created a “bridge-table”, which is built using datasetA, containing columns from datasetA and a column C, which is mappeable between datasetA and datasetB.
  • set the filter to get only relevant values from the filter1
  • add the filter to the sheet
  • hide the bridge-table (in its options, there’s a “hide by default” option)