API Calls are taking very long and sometimes miss information

Hi, we own an enterprise QS account used by ~18K users with ~50K (Analysis & Dashboards), 8K DataSets and ~450 DataSources (Redshift, RDS and adhoc[excel,csv, etc]). I am trying to make API calls using boto3 SDK to fetch QS metadata around (list_data_sets,list_data_sources,list_analyses,list_dashboards) and their permissions and other details. I have referred to blog and created script to get details as per my use-case.

Lately, I am seeing three major issues as mentioned below and seek support from experts to unblock myself.

1. list_data_sources, list_analyses are taking very long (1+ hours) to execute and sometime running into timeouts due to token expiry. While I understand I could increase session time, but this will put me in the eyes of security and governance teams. So, is there something, i could do to speed up the process and complete list actions in short timeframe.

2. Post list activity, I execute describe API calls to fetch asset details and ownership. When executing describe and describe_permissions on multiple assets, I noticed details around some assets are returning blank in output file. However, when I execute describe and describe_permissions individual on assets which had blank data, I am able to fetch asset details. So, is this something to do with API throttling? I have even applied ratelimiter to control API calls, but still see this happening. What causes this to happen and why?

3. While I understand QS API have thresholds and these numbers vary for each API. Is there a place where I can find the thresholds of each API and if needed can these numbers be adjusted?

FYI. The account type we use is enterprise and is in us-east-1

1 Like

Hi @PravKumar - Welcome to AWS QuickSight community and thanks for posting the question.

1. For your first query, I am suspecting due to high number of data sets, the API may taking to list the details. Can you please share the command that you are using for list dashboard so that we can see whether any parameter can be implemented.

2.For your second query, can you please see the command as well. If the describe permission is giving blank, please raise a request to AWS customer support team so that they can collect the back end logs and see why the information are not populated. To raise a request please flow the link - Creating support cases and case management - AWS Support

Good to see that your implementation is a large usage of QuickSight and it will be good if you can connect with AWS to showcase the details. @Kristin - FYI.

Regards - Sanjeeb

Hello @PravKumar !

Was @Sanjeeb2022 's post above helpful, and if so could you mark their post as a solution?

We have not heard from you in a few days but would still like to help find a solution. If we do not hear from you in the next 3 days this post will be archived.