API to get data shown on a Quicksight dashboard

Is there an API to get the data shown on a QuickSight dashboard ? I looked at the DescribeDashboard API, but it seems to be returning the summary/metadata but not the actual data. I have a requirement where API users of my application want to retrieve the dashboard data as a JSON response

1 Like

Hi @VenkatY - Welcome to AWS QuickSight community and thanks for posting the question. There is NO API currently available in QuickSight where you can get the data or download the data. This is because the dashboard may contain visuals, graphs as well.

Let’s listen feedback from experts as well, tagging @Max @David_Wong @Karthik_Tharmarajan

Regards - Sanjeeb

2 Likes

Thanks for your response. Is there no means to retrieve the underlying data based on which these visuals/ graphs are rendered ? For example - a dashboard shows a bar graph of sales volumes for last 10 years. An API consumer would want to get this data (year-wise sales volume) as JSON

1 Like

Hi @VenkatY - You can download the report from UI, but you can not do it from API.

Regards -Sanjeeb

2 Likes

Thank you @Sanjeeb2022

3 Likes

Thanks @VenkatY . Can you please mark the suggestion as solution so that it can help other community members.

Regards - Sanjeeb

2 Likes

Hi, I was wondering if this is still true, currently I’m wandering if there is a way to get the data from a Quicksight dashboard via API call. I would greatly apreciate the help @Sanjeeb2022

Hi @rafael.niquefa.bold - Welcome to AWS QuickSight community and thanks for posting the question. You can ONLY download the the report meta data ( like layout, description, field details etc) from QuickSight APIs NOT the actual data. I do not think it is possible at present now. We can request QuickSight team to help on this and possibly add as a feature request ( if not already).

You can see all boto3 QuickSight API details below - QuickSight - Boto3 1.34.42 documentation

Hi @DylanM @ErikG - Can you please help on this.

Regards - Sanjeeb

1 Like

Hi @Sanjeeb2022
i between us ;-). I’m not a friend of exporting data out of a reporting tool / report.
Why should we do that and why not direct out of the source?

But so far there is no QS option to do it via API. One shitty option could be to create a mouse macro to do it out of the dashboard. :wink:

BR