Applying a Gradient Conditional Formatting Based on the Table Data Value Range

I would like to apply gradient-based conditional formatting to a column on a table. In the configuration for this I’ve chosen the Red-Yellow-Green option. What I want is for the gradients to be automatically calculated and applied based on the actual range of values that are shown in the table, rather than having to specify fixed minimum, medium and maximum values. This is because my data range could change noticeably with the user’s filter selection, and hence I never know what the minimum and maximum values could be.

I read this page in the user guide, and if I have understood it correctly, “The minimum value defaults to the lowest value, and the maximum value defaults to the highest value.” That would imply to me that if I don’t specify any fixed values, Quicksight would do exactly what I am tyring to get it to do. However, if I leave the value fields empty, I just get an error message saying “Missing or invalid value” and I cannot apply the formatting.

Is there no way to get Quicksight to determine the data range that is shown on the table visual, post-filter, and then apply the gradient according to that range?

Hi @Julian. Yeah, unfortunately, it cannot automatically calculate and apply the actual ranges of values, but you can create a calculated field with ifelse ranges and try to use the colors that look like a gradient. Here is similar example - click here.

At AWS, our roadmap is primarily driven by our customers. Your feedback helps us build a better service. I have tagged this as a feature request.