Average is coming off

I am trying to calculate the average value for this month all the values are less than 4million but average i m getting is more than 5 million I am confused any help would be appreciated

formula used is avg(population)

Are you sure there are no 5 millions?

Can you sort by avg population and share that with us?

Thanks for reply max, the attached pic has rest of the values

Why are you summing the avgpopulation?

And your what’s your calculated field again?

avg(population)?

my calculated field is avg(population) and 2 other fields(which are region and category) , avgpopulation is a calculated field

Hi Tejasait,

Also, try this function - avgOver - Amazon QuickSight

Here is a more advanced level-aware calculation - Create advanced insights using level-aware calculations in Amazon QuickSight | AWS Big Data Blog

And here is a good blog - Add comparative and cumulative date/time calculations in Amazon QuickSight | AWS Big Data Blog

Please let us know if you are still having issues. Perhaps, share sample data file directly to my email drpeter@amazon.com along with the calculation for avg(population).

Alex

Hi peter, sent you an email

Could you please try: Avg(Population, [$VisualDimensions]), for the visual-level aggregation, set it to be Average

1 Like

The user had multiple similar field names; used the wrong field name for grouping. The formula you suggested is what he already had and it works. Thank you.

1 Like

Great! In future, customer might want to try the new feature with dynamic group by: $VisualDimensions. With that, the levels will be automatically set with the levels of the visual. The details could be found in here: Create advanced insights using level-aware calculations in Amazon QuickSight | AWS Big Data Blog)%20functions.