AWS QuickSight connect 2 parameters with different values

Hello everyone.

I need to link up 2 parameters.

First of all, I have created parameter in dataset (Id, Name) and have connected it to the analytics. By default I use the same dataset and field related to each of them (for ID use only ID field, for Name use only Name field.)

Nextly I added control on that parameters (and they are connected to filters also, 1 for each) and put by default same fields from same dataset (id → id, name → name).

So, there are 2 main questions:

1. How can I fix the issue, that cause after selecting all id’s (or name’s) ? It also cannot be fixed by putting all values by default to the dataset parameter (cause there are a lot of them, so write Error “Something gone wrong”). I understand that it is because all entities are applied, but I need to fix it somehow.

2. I need to choose from control “name” field and it will filter related ID’s from another control (and filter). Like if I choose Name_1 on control button (dropdown-multiselect), it will filter table with related ID_1 (and name) inside the dataset. How can I link them up and even better to hide the ID filtering (control).

Best wishes,
Maksym

Hello @maksym , welcome to the Quicksight community!

I’m not sure I understand this issue in your first bullet point. Do you want to use a multiselect control to filter by multiple names at once on your visuals?

For your second point, if you have created your control for IDs you won’t be able to hide it from your control bar. You could try using the conditional rules and dropping the parameter control to the sheet in free form layout.

Could you try clarifying your use case or what your expected result would look like for your user on the dashboard?

Hello @maksym !

Were you able to find a solution or are you still working on this problem? Are you able to clarify the first part of your question?

Hello @duncan !

First point was solved by creating SQL with new option to select all names (because we cannot select all using parameter).

Second point is to manage somehow to filter related id’s by selecting names in parameter.
Like, if I select names “A, B” on dashboard (or analytics) the parameter will filter it in query related id’s (1 and 2).

Could you help me with the second one or it is impossible into QuickSight?

Best wishes,
Maksym