Calculating MoM growth without referencing date range in visual

Hi everyone, this new post is a continuation of the last post I made here. Thank you @DylanM for the help, but I’m still not getting the correct technique to calculate MoM order growth, spend growth (number and percentage).
For reference, here is the table I’m building: the goal is to create a summary table for the company’s clients, where we showcase a few necessary variables.

I’m grouping the table by clients and client ID, and putting in all necessary data related to that client in the values columns. So far, I’ve managed to get everything down except the MoM order growth, spend growth, order growth % and spend growth % with regards to the last 3 months of 2023.

The formula I’m using for calculating MoM growth is this: periodOverPeriodPercentDifference(sum({GMV (USD)}), orderDate, MONTH, 2)
When I add this to the existing table, I get an error saying that table references are missing. When I add the orderDate field to the table, it messes up the table as it starts grouping by date, which is not what I’m looking for

What I would like is a table that looks like this:

This is a rough design of how I want the table to look, with random values.

Is this possible? If so, how do i do it?

I do get MoM growth when I use a pivot table, but the goal is to get a singular value, which is not possible here. All I need ideally, is the total column value in the following table to be able to add it to the first table I’ve shown here.

@DylanM @ErikG @David_Wong would you guys be able to provide any help on this?

Hi @rohit_SB,

I’m not sure how you would display MoM growth with just one row per client. Can you provide some sample numbers for one client and show what you would expect the growth and growth % to be for that client?

2 Likes

Hello @rohit_SB, are you still working on building out a solution for this issue? If so, are you able to respond with the information that @David_Wong suggested above? That might help us guide you towards your suggested output. Thank you!

Hey guys (@DylanM and @David_Wong), sorry for my delayed response. We tried a fair bit to work around things, but didn’t come up with anything useful. We’re scrapping the MoM metric for now, but can I bring this up in the thread later on?

1 Like

Hello @rohit_SB, no worries at all! I understand that handling these periodOverPeriod metrics in a pivot table can become pretty messy. When you get back to it, you should definitely let us know so we can continue to assist. Instead of adding to this thread when you get to that point, would you instead post a new topic in the community and link to this question to provide relevant information? That will ensure you are at the top of the priority list for a response from one of our QuickSight experts. Thank you!

Hello @rohit_SB, I will go ahead and archive this topic for now. Feel free to link to this question on a future post if you want to come back to it. That will help provide relevant information to the QuickSight expert who assists you. Thank you!