Can QuickSight Dashboard Buttons Trigger Actions Like Lambda Functions?

Hey AWS gurus,

I’ve got a question that’s been bugging me and I’m hoping you folks can shed some light on it.

In my QuickSight dashboard, I’ve got a table that shows customer expenses. I’m wondering if there’s a way to add functionality directly in the dashboard that allows me to:

• Approve these expenses and notify the customer via email, or
  • Request a re-check of the data by sending an email to the analysis team.

Essentially, I’m looking to create buttons on the dashboard that can trigger these actions. Is this something that’s feasible?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Cheers,
Dan

Hi @kolodnydan - If the action is an URL, you can put this as an URL and navigate it and this can take to required page ( which is out of QuickSight) and take action.

By saying that let’s hear from other experts.

Hi @eperts @Max @David_Wong - Any advise on this.

Regards - Sanjeeb

1 Like

Hi @kolodnydan - How are you envisaging the UX to be? You said you have a table with customer expenses. Are you expecting to have an action/link on every row to trigger the event? Or maybe have a text box where you put in the customer id, click on a button and trigger the action?

More importantly, after the action is triggered do you expect to feed that information back into the dashboard by logging it in some sort of a data store e.g. (“notification to customer x was sent”).

1 Like

Hey thanks for you response I want to trigger an event per table in the dashboard lets say i have a table that displays expenses and I want to confirm the whole table.

for the other question it doesn’t need to reload the data and presented it in the dashboard, maybe just a toggle that shoed “summited” or any other sign that the button had been clicked

Hello @kolodnydan !

I believe the overall use case is not supported in the Quicksight UI, but I can mark this as a feature request. That being said, I think that @Sanjeeb2022 is correct to advise using the mailto url action. You may also be able to achieve this with embedding.

I am going to archive this topic since it has been open for an extended period of time. If you would still like assistance with this, or if you have a new QuickSight question, feel free to post a new topic in the community so you will be at the top of the priority list for a response from one of our QuickSight experts. Thank you!