Can we provide same user access as author and reader using user based embedding

I have a use case where user need to have author access for dataset with company 1234 while the same user need to have reader access for another company 6789 data

Hi @yogendrasgautam - I do not think it is possible in QuickSight as access has been provided at object level i.e data set, analysis and dashboard. You can filter the data using RLS but in the same data set one user should see different datas not possible.

Hi @AnwarAli @Max @royyung - Please give your expert advise on this.

Regards - Sanjeeb

1 Like

can we use combination of user embedding and anonymous embedding for dashboard embeding

Hi @yogendrasgautam - Not sure but you can certainly explore it. Or you can create 2 analysis for the same data set with filter and give require access separately, it may not be an efficient approach. Let’s wait for the feedback from @Max @AnwarAli @royyung also.

Regards -Sanjeeb

@yogendrasgautam, do you mean that company 1234 and 6789 are storing in the same dataset? And author access for company 1234 means I can edit the dataset such as adding calculated field but this impacts company1234 only?
Or I can create a analysis which shows only company 1234 data?
can share a bit more the use case?

1 Like
  1. company 1234 and 6789 are storing in the same dataset : Yes
  2. author access for company 1234 means I can edit the dataset such as adding calculated field but this impacts company 1234 only : Yes
  3. author should not be able to add calculated fields or create dashboard for 6789 company

Hi Yogendra,

To your question “can we use combination of user embedding and anonymous embedding for dashboard embedding”.

It is not possible to use both together in same QuickSight account, once you enable capacity pricing all users will pull session from that session pack.

Regards,
Anwar Ali

1 Like

@yogendrasgautam As it is the same dataset, once you add calculated field in there, it applies on all data. You cannot setup different access right according to the data (e.g. Company)

but I am curious what would be the use case as I expect it will be very difficult to manage 1 dataset with different columns depends on the user and data. For instance, if I can create calculated fields(e.g. Margin) for the company 1234. Another Author can create calculated fields(e.g. Margin again) for company 6789… and so on. This means each Author can create a different data structure in the same dataset.

If there is a super user who can see all data, he/she may be seeing multiple column with the same name(e.g. Margin)

2 Likes