Cascading filters not updating correctly

I have a cascading filter setup so that filter control HQID determines the content of my other controls (i.e., show relevant values).

When I change my selection in HQID, the current selection in the other controls are not relevant anymore and I have to reset it manually. The previous values remain and still affect the visuals that are tied to these controls.

The expected behaviour is the cascading filters trigger a reset or update of downstream filters when the upstream filters update.

Gif of error:

cascadingfilter_bug

This feels like a duplication of this other other post, but I don’t see how it has been resolved by the solution.

@David_Wong @Kellie_Burton Any thoughts here? Looping you in since @tsquick123 is cross referencing your posts from another thread. Thx!

As far as I know, this limitation still exists. Using an example that people may be more familiar with, let’s say we have 2 cascading filters - Country and City. I configure the City filter to show relevant values based on what’s selected in the Country filter.

If I select United States and Seattle, and then change the country to France, currently Seattle remains selected. Since Seattle is not relevant to France anymore, I would expect the City filter to get reset to “All”. I shouldn’t have to reset it manually.

1 Like

Thanks, @David_Wong for circling back so quickly.

@David_Wong Thanks very much for this example, it describes the current limitation perfectly.

@Kristin Is this something that can be resolved in the future? i.e., adding in logic that when cascading filters are triggered by a change in the dominant filter (e…g, Country in David’s example), downstream filters will auto-update the selected value (City) and update the visuals tied to these filters accordingly? Presumably with the downstream filter defaulting back to the Default/Reserved value if no values in the dataset match the updated filter criteria?

Hi @tsquick123,
Thanks for you feedback. The desired behavior of cascading filters strongly depends on the use case, but I understand why you’d like to see the described behavior. In case you are embedding your dashboard in your application, you can leverage parameters that you link to your controls and then use the JS embed SDK functionality to listen to PARAMETERS_CHANGED events to then reset the parameters linked to the dependent controls from your application (using the setParameters function).

At AWS, our roadmap is primarily driven by our customers. Your feedback helps us build a better service. I have noted this in our internal feature request tracker.

1 Like

@tsquick123 Thanks so much for your feedback. Hope Thomas’ reply was helpful. This has been tagged as a feature request.