Change legend item captions

Can we change legend item captions for any chart? When I have a bar combo chart with measure “player id (Count distinct)”, I would like to be able to edit that after adding a legend to chart so that bar color refers to “Number of unique plyers”, for example. This way the legend can have values that are difficult to understand from user perspective.

1 Like

If you have a bar chart with multiple measures in the “Value” well and you want to change how those items display in the legend, you can create a calculated field with the name that you want and use that field in the “Value” well instead. (For example, instead of having “player id(Count distinct)” in the field well, create a calculated field called “Number of unique players” with expression ‘distinct_count({player id})’ and use the field in the chart instead of the ‘player id’ field

1 Like

Here is an example of custom legend text using calculated field. I have created 2 calc fields for 2 variables to be shown in the combo chart. In the chart I pulled the calc field in the field well instead of the raw field.

The calc fields are defined as below-
Number of Circuits = distinct_count(circuitid)
Number of Races = distinct_count(raceid)

1 Like

Thanks, that does solve the issue but increases the number of fields in field list. My field list is already huge and I think self-service users would find this quite difficult to use. It’s more like workaround. I hope this “feature” is in plans since there’s already way to change captions (or labels) on X or Y axis, tooltips, etc.

2 Likes

I’ll communicate this as a feature request to the appropriate team. Thank you

2 Likes

Adding my support for this as a feature request.

2 Likes