Check for QuickSight Health

Is there a way to identify if QuickSight is up or has any outages other than healthcheck/boto3? I have a requirement to check the availability of QuickSight before sending users to the dashboard; if there is a disruption of any kind, throw up a messsage. Historically boto3 health check posed problems for us so I want to see if there is any other method to verify QuickSight’s ability.

Hello @pyi !

Have you tried using CloudWatch alarms?

Amazon QuickSight launches monitoring with CloudWatch metrics.

Yes but this doesn’t quite give me the kind of outage I am looking for. CloudWatch is only “watching” for things that are running - if nothing is running because there is an issue with QuickSight itself, none of the alarms will get triggered.

Hello @pyi,

For information on the availability of the Quicksight service, you can use AWS Health. With the requisite support plan, you can use the status information from the AWS Health API to monitor availability of AWS services including Quicksight.

You can use the API to determine the status of Quicksight either via REST or AWS SDKs. The description of the API and sample Java code to access the API can be found here.

Please let me know if this fits your needs and/or have additional questions.

Thanks,

Krishna

Hi - we actually have issues with the AWS Health API that causes our product to come down. That is why I am searching for alternatives… Are there any other ways to identify if the QuickSight service itself has issues?

AWS Health service is the method to query for service events across AWS services. Another option may to be use CloudWatch Synthetics Canaries to check availability of the dashboard. You can associate the Canary with a CloudWatch alarm.

If you have not done so already, I would recommend opening a case for the AWS Health API issue to see if support can resolve your issue as the AWS Health API is the preferred way to monitor AWS service health.

Thanks,

Krishna

Hi @pyi,

Checking in. We have not heard back from you regarding your question. Let us know if the information provided helped resolve the issue. If we do not hear back in the next 3 days, we will archive the question.”

Thanks,

Krishna

Thank you for letting us know. I would recommend filing a case with AWS Support where we can dive into the details so that we can help you further. Here are the steps to open a support case. If your company has someone who manages your AWS account, you might not have direct access to AWS Support and will need to raise an internal ticket to your IT team or whomever manages your AWS account. They should be able to open an AWS Support case on your behalf. Hope this helps!