CI/CD automation DataSets vs Analysis

Hi Experts,

Need your advise on following.

Since each Dashboard can have multiple Datasets and Datasets could be used across multiple dashboards, what is the best ways to create ci/cd pipelines for Datasets and Analysis?

Am leaning towards datasets in separate repo and separate deployment pipeline and analysis in separate repo and pipeline. Is this a good way?

Hi @shilpa.sabade,

Thank you for posting.

Please review a posting that was made by the Quicksight team on best practices here

Regards,
Demola

1 Like

Hi @shilpa.sabade - The simple approach to migrate the data sources, data sets first, then analysis and then finally migrate the dashboards. This way you can migrate all dependencies objects first.

Regards - Sanjeeb

Hi,

Here is what I used last year.

Data sources: Very hard to do in some cases as credentials vary and have to be included in the API call for certain data sources. Basically I scripted these with a link to a secret in secrets manager.

Datasets: Used the bundle export/import with a list of specific arns to deploy to test/prod. I wrote another script to get the list of datasets that a dashboard has so I could create a list of unique dataset arns to export/import

Dashboards: Tried using the export/import api, but it had several bugs that prevented me using it, so I used templates. I opened defects and I think most of the bugs have been fixed, but haven’t revisited yet.

Analysis: Did not move up the stack as they are only required in dev and can be “recreated” from a dashbaord with the save as analysis feature.

What I haven’t done yet, is tie this into event bridge to automate the process via a true CI/CD pipeline (scripts are ran manually as requuired) :frowning:

1 Like

HI @shilpa.sabade, did this solution work for you? I am marking this reply as, “Solution,” but let us know if this is not resolved. Thanks for posting your questions on the QuickSight Community!

Hi @John_McGinn, thank you for contributing to the QuickSight Community.

Hope this link helps:

1 Like