Conditional Formatting Issue in KPI Visuals

Hello,
I’m encountering an issue with the conditional formatting of KPI visuals in my dashboard, and I’d appreciate some guidance or insights.

Issue Description:
The conditional formatting settings for text color and icon in my KPI visuals are set up with greater than and less than conditions, where colors transition from green to red based on thresholds. Recently, I noticed discrepancies in the visuals between a scheduled report I received on April 9th (which was correct) and the current state of the dashboard. Specifically, at least two visuals have changed unexpectedly.

Request for Assistance:

1. Understanding Changes Over Time: I’d like to understand why the KPI visuals’ conditional formatting has changed over time despite no alterations to the underlying data or formatting rules.
  2. Troubleshooting Steps: What steps can I take to troubleshoot this issue and ensure consistency in the conditional formatting of my KPI visuals?
  3. Preventive Measures: How can I prevent similar issues from occurring in the future, especially with scheduled reports?

Any insights, suggestions, or experiences related to this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help!

Hello @TDW , welcome to the QuickSight community!

Can you send over a screenshot of just the conditional statement in the visual format panel? That way would make it easier to understand the full set up.

Also, can you describe more about how the visuals changed unexpectedly, for instance, the colors or the icons were not correct or the data was not correct in the visuals? I’m curious too how much the conditional formatting has changed from when you first set it up.

Hi Duncan,

Thank you for the welcome.
Sure, please find attached. I tried to upload a screenshot of the visuals as well, but I am not allowed.

Please note the KPI visual is showing what is seen in the conditional formatting panel. However earlier this month the condition for green was “Less than” and red “Greater than”.

Best,
Tristan

Hello @TDW !

I would recommend setting this up to say “Less than or equal to” for 0 rather than just “Less than”.

I suppose, the only reason I could see the conditional formatting changing unexpectedly from how you set it up is 1) If you did not have auto-save enabled in your analysis and made changes that didn’t save or 2) if another author has access to your analysis and made changes.

Hi Duncan,

I have updated the conditional formatting with your suggestions, published, and exported it to pdf as documentation.

Autosave is enabled in the analysis, and I have already removed other authors.

Hopefully, this will fix the issue.

Thank you.

Hi,

I had similar issues on

Q) It seems like each time a Value or Trend Group changes, the format is reset to standard. Is this a bug?
A) sadly yes (sometimes)

Hi Ted,

Unfortunately, this could be the root cause. I will know for sure next week. Do you know if there is a fix on the way?

Thanks!

Thank you for letting us know. I would recommend filing a case with AWS Support where we can dive into the details so that we can help you further. Here are the steps to open a support case. If your company has someone who manages your AWS account, you might not have direct access to AWS Support and will need to raise an internal ticket to your IT team or whomever manages your AWS account. They should be able to open an AWS Support case on your behalf. Hope this helps!