Controls show data as Admin but not as a Viewer

This one is a bit of a mystery. I made a number of changes to a dashboard which were cosmetic. We use row level security on the dataset. When I am logged in as an Admin dropdown controls work perfectly. If I login as a Viewer there is no data in the dropdowns.
A user assures me it was working earlier in the week. As far as I am aware I haven’t changed anything to do with security or permissions.
The bizarre part is that the user who reported the issue is logged in as an Admin. This will be historical and he really shouldn’t have Admin rights but it is still the fact that he can’t access the data.
Other users, who are in a customer group, only have Reader access and they can’t access the data.
It seems to me that something has gone wrong and given only myself, as an Admin user, access. What can I check / do to resolve the issue?

Thanks in advance

Hi @RichardAustin
is the RLS based on a file or database?

It’s a Redshift database. It only seems to affect this one dashboard.

Hello @RichardAustin, is this an issue you are still experiencing? If it is only happening on one of the dashboards, are there any datasets linked to only that specific dashboard? It seems like there is disconnect related to the RLS that is linked to at least one of the datasets. Maybe a User Group or a column name was accidentally removed or possibly something changed on the dataset the RLS is connected to.

If you haven’t been able to find an issue with the applied RLS, I would recommend filing a case with AWS Support where we can dive into the details so that we can help you further. Here are the steps to open a support case. If your company has someone who manages your AWS account, you might not have direct access to AWS Support and will need to raise an internal ticket to your IT team or whomever manages your AWS account. They should be able to open an AWS Support case on your behalf. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply. I spoke to AWS support for quite a while and they couldn’t find an issue either. The customer logged in a few days later and it all worked. I am mystified. I hadn’t changed anything apart form updating the dashboard and putting it in exactly the same folder. It now works fine.


1 Like

Hello @RichardAustin, that is definitely confusing. I am glad it is working as expected now though. Thank you for following up!