Convert time zone - settings issue

Hi all,
I’m trying to utilize the Convert time zone setting and it’s working fine for some my visuals but for some reason it’s breaking all the visuals which are based on a different dataset. However all the fields across both datasets are in UTC. What’s more - the visuals affected aren’t using date fields. When reverted back the setting, it’s retrieving the data as expected. What could be the root cause for this?

Thanks in advance for any inputs!

Hello @Rad, my initial thought is that the time zone change is breaking the datasets that do not include a datetime field similarly to how it would if it contained a datetime field that wasn’t in UTC. Would there be any way for you to add that field into those datasets, or would it break the aggregations you are running on them?

If you are unable to add the datetime field into the other datasets, you may need to run the conversion to EST on your datetime field in the custom SQL statement when importing your data. I will also mark this as a feature request for our Support Team because I feel like the time zone change should not impact datasets that do not contain a datetime field.

I’ll mark this alternative option as a solution for now as well, but if you have follow-up questions, please let me know!

Hi @DylanM thank you for you inputs. I’ve just double checked it and apparently the dates parameters (applied for the filters) are causing the issue. When filtering by datetime field (without parameter) it’s just working fine. However I’m using date parameters for other datasets and it’s working just fine when converting time zone. Any ideas what could be reason behind this?

Hello @Rad, I am curious, are you setting your date parameters on the dataset level? Since this is a new feature, there may be some bugs in the implementation process. I am wondering if you set the parameter on the dataset level, if that is causing it to not be updated by the Time Zone change feature. I am interested to see if you would have better luck setting it on the analysis.

If you have already tried that, then I would recommend filing a case with AWS Support where we can dive into the details to help you further. Here are the steps to open a support case. Since this may be an unfound issue on the new feature, this would be the best way to get assistance from the Support Team. Thank you!

Hi @DylanM i’m setting parameters only on analysis level. Let me raise a case on this, thanks!

1 Like

Hello @Rad, I will archive this topic as well for our Support Team. If you have a follow-up or further questions on this after discussing the issue with them, please post a new topic in the community. That will ensure you are at the top of the priority list for a response from one of our QuickSight experts. Thank you!