Counting click of a link on a dashboard

I have a dashboard that allows an end user to click on an email address, opening the user’s email client to send an email. Is there reporting functionality that captures each link click by user? I’d like to get a sense of the number of users that are utilizing this feature.

A demo screenshot is provided.

Screenshot from 2023-11-01 16-18-21

1 Like

Hi @todd.hoffman - This is an interesting question. I am sure whether cloud trail capture this details or not. This is something you can explore. Each API call cloud trail should capture but at the field level or not, need to validate it.

Let’s hear from other experts as well @duncan @DylanM @David_Wong @Max

Regards - Sanjeeb

Hello @todd.hoffman and @Sanjeeb2022 !

Currently I do not believe that you can do this with the Quicksight UI or CloudWatch/CloudTrail. From my research and understanding, both of those services focus internally on resource based events and user based api calls.

Is this dashboard embedded in your own website/app? *Better way to ask this is, are the users that you are allowing to click through the mailto links within your user roles on IAM or are they outside of that user pool?

1 Like

Hello @todd.hoffman !

Following up on this, are you embedding this into your own website or application?

These are all IAM users.

1 Like

Hey @todd.hoffman!

Contrary to what I said first, I would say use CloudTrail for this. I would have someone test it to make sure that you can see what you are looking for.

So for example, I would set up cloudtrail, then have someone click through and mark the timestamps that they clicked the mailto link.

Here is an AWS blog on how to set up CloudTrail:

2 Likes