CUR to dashboard integration with automatic pricing markup? (No ABC)

I am currently running a standard QuickSight Dashboard integration with the live CUR data which is updated once per day automatically.

I am looking to mark this CUR data up by 2% without using Amazon Billing Conductor (ABC) which costs $8.25 per linked account per month and can add up.

Is it possible to integrate some kind of Lambda Function or some way to manipulate the data in QuickSight so it is automatically provisioning a CUR that is market up by 2% every time it comes in?

Thanks,

Ryan

Hello @Ryan_Bruni , welcome to the Quicksight community!

My first thought here is to use operators in calculated fields on the metrics that you want to increase by 2%.

You would then use your calculated fields rather than the metrics coming from CUR.

Hi @duncan, thank you!

I did use a calculated field but I am not sure if this data is going to continue processing automatically? The issue is getting that 2% markup to apply to all future CUR updates to QuickSight automatically so that the costs are always viewed correctly in QuickSight if that makes sense.

Hello @Ryan_Bruni !

Can you walk me through how you have set up the flow for CUR to Quicksight so I can make sure I don’t miss any details? Have you tried this set up and are noticing that the data is not updating correctly?

If you set it up so that the data is ingested from Athena or Redshift, then on either the data prep layer or the analysis layer you can create the calculated field. In the Analysis, any place that the original metric was used in a visual you can replace with your new calculated field and publish that change to your Dashboard.

Hey Duncan thank you for replying!

So essentially I go to Billing and Cost Management down to a tab called “Data Exports.” Here, I click on the QuickSight dashboard to propagate a new one. After 24 hours, it routes my new billing data to an S3 bucket which is ingested into the dashboard. All these processes are automatic when you provision a dashboard through data exports and the dashboard shows live CUR data updated daily.

I figured I could just deploy a simple operator to the field where I want my data marked up. I did total_cost * 1.02 for a 2 percent markup.

Unfortunately, that simply does not work and the data going into the QuickSight dashboard continues to be the unadjusted “raw CUR data” without any pricing adjustments.

I am thinking along the lines of an Athena query as you mentioned or even a Lambda Function that marks up the Pro Forma CUR automatically by simply multiplying that field by whatever the increase need be.

I just edited this for a more thorough explanation. Does this make sense?

Hey @Ryan_Bruni !

Thank you for clarifying! If you create those calculated fields in the QuickSight analysis, as long as the fields remain the same from the CUR or any other data source, your calculations should come back correctly.

For example, the data flow to QuickSight would be the same, but instead of applying the operator function on your target metric in Athena, you create it on your CUR analysis in QuickSight and then publish your dashboard. The data will feed into QuickSight unchanged, but your calculated fields will replace the metric in the analysis, does that make sense?

Hi Duncan,

That makes sense and is now working for me! Much appreciated Duncan.

Thanks,

Ryan

1 Like