Dashboard Loading time is too long

I have set up:

1. all my dataset with spice version and only refresh once every morning
  2. I did not reload visuals each time I switch sheets

But dashboard loading time is still too long(over 1 min) when user open the dashboard. Is there anyway to not only refresh dataset but also refresh dashboard tableau calculation at the backend to avoid the long loading time?

Hello @yingkz, that definitely sounds too long for a dashboard when the datasets are in SPICE. Are you sure there aren’t any datasets attached to the dashboard that are on direct query? I would check the dropdown in the analysis to make sure. Also, are you using a lot of calculated fields in the analysis? I am not sure I can think of another reason why it would take that long.

If there are calculated fields in your analysis/dashboard, you can move them to your dataset. Your datasets will probably take a bit longer to refresh but your dashboard will load faster.

@David_Wong I already moved some calculations from dashboard to dataset. As the dataset has over 50M records, if I added more calculations into dataset, the dataset will fail to refresh.

@DylanM I only have one dataset with complex customer SQL query that one is set to SPICE not direct query.

Is there anyway to schedule refresh dashboard layer calculation at the backend too?

Hello @yingkz, one thing I am curious about is what do you mean by "refresh dashboard tableau calculation"? Are you using custom visual content within your dashboard that is coming directly from tableau? If so, I can definitely see that being the reason why your load times are taking so long. Also, how many calculated fields do you have implemented on your analysis? These details might provide some relevant information that might help us target the issue.

As for your last question, there is currently not a way to set a refresh schedule on your dashboard view. That will always load once a user views the dashboard.

A couple final thoughts I have. What internet browser are you on and do you know what your internet speeds are? If you go to https://fast.com/ you can see what your current mbps are and we can determine if that is possibly why your load times seem so long.

@DylanM Sorry for the confusion and it is a typo. I am trying to say “Is there a way to refresh Quicksight dashboard calculation once a day”.

1 Like

Hello @yingkz, no worries at all, I just wanted to make sure there wasn’t something that I missed. Do you know roughly how many calculated fields you are implementing on the analysis level? Due to the fact that your dataset is stored in SPICE, that is the main factor I could see causing the long load times on the dashboard. Well that, or internet latency issues. Are other people experiencing the same load times when they view the dashboard?

Hello @yingkz, I wanted to check in and see if you can follow up with the questions that I asked in my last response. With a little more information, we may be able to figure out a solution. If we do not hear back in 3 days, I will archive this topic.

If you aren’t running a large number of calculated fields in your dashboard, I would recommend filing a case with AWS Support where we can dive into the details to help you further. Here are the steps to open a support case. I hope that helps!

Hello @yingkz, I will go ahead and archive this topic since we have not heard back from you. If you still need assistance, please post a new question in the community. That will ensure you are at the top of the priority list for a response from one of our QuickSight experts. Thank you!