Dashboard Operations - see applied filters & subtotals

Hello,

I am a beginner, so please excuse me if the questions I ask have already been addressed.
I am creating a dashboard and I would like that by clicking on a slice of cake that represents a region (of Italy) the graph on the right and the table below would show the data for that region.

So far, things have been pretty straightforward and everything works as expected.
These are my 3 questions:

1. Is it possible to see the applied regional filter somewhere on the page or inside the graph (title or description maybe) ? I know it can be viewed by clicking on the funnel, but for end users it wouldn’t be so intuitive.

2. Is it possible to change the style of the selected part of the cake? The selected part does not seem very evident at the moment

3. Can I change the subtotal to always represent the national total, even when a filter is applied?
    Alternatively can I hide it when the filter is applied?

Thanks for the help. This is a printscreen of the dashboard:

Hi! Welcome to the QuickSight Community! Please see answers below.

1. You can utilize a parameter value within a visualization title to display the regional filter value. Create a parameter for Region, use that parameter in the filter setup. You will then see that parameter available in the Edit Title settings.

2. At this time, you can’t change the style of the selected piece of the donut chart.

3. In the pivot table setting, you can choose Subtotal and see several options - you can choose to show the subtotals for all levels, the last level or a Custom level. At this time, using the subtotal on the pivot table, you can’t automatically hide when the filter is applied. You can create calculated fields that are level aware - meaning you can choose the level to Total/Subtotal. Using these calculations you can determine when the calculation happens - before filtering is applied (PRE_FILTER), before any aggregations (PRE_AGG) or after filtering and aggregations (POST_AGG_FILTER).
    You can find examples of creating these calculations in the following section of our author workshop (specifically look at exercise 6): Workshop Studio

Hi Kellie,

1. Thank you very much for your support. I’ m using a parameter in the title of a secondary graph, but it’s does not change when i click a region on the first graph. Data show in the the secondary graph are changing anyway. Maybe I’m losing something in the connection between parameter and filter ? As you can see parameter and filter does not operate together.

2. Can I create a calculate field where subtotal over (for example) region parameter, is aware of region filter applied to the table ?

Thank you again for your support.

Hi Alessandro!

1. There’s a difference in applying an action (as you have on the donut chart) & changing the value of the parameter through a control. The action isn’t changing the value of the parameter; therefore, the title of the graph doesn’t change.

You have the ability to filter based upon parameter, that will allow you to use the parameter values in the title and see the filter reflected in the visualizations where that filter is applied.

The approach would be to first create a parameter and a control. I’m using Industry in my example.

Next, create a filter applying to all visuals (in my case). Select Custom filter and check the box to use parameters and then select the appropriate parameter value.

Now when you select a value of Industry, you will see both visuals filter based upon that selection as well as the parameter value in the title reflect the appropriate value.

1. You do have the ability to pass in partition fields and calculation levels in order to control how and when a total is calculated. In this example, I’m using a sumOver function. The documentation gives you detail on passing in partition fields and definitions of the calculation levels.
    sumOver - Amazon QuickSight

In the screenshot below, you can see a created 3 calculated fields using the sumOver function for total sales (I did not pass in a partition field). My aggregation level choices are PRE_FILTER, PRE_AGG & POST_AGG_FILTER. You can see how those apply.

If you would like to explore more examples and sample exercises for filter, actions and calculations, please see the exercises in our self-paced Author Workshop.

Best Regards!
Kellie

Hello!

Following up on the applied filters: is there anything similar to this?

It would be better than to create a parameter per filter when there are many filters available.
Thanks!

2 Likes