Data snapshot received every month how do I use these snapshots in one report?

I have data that is a snapshot each month of an excel report, with the same columns each month and I want to have a report that shows month on month and add in each month as it becomes available. How do I do this?

Hi @kjaques - I believe every month you replace or full refresh the data in QuickSight. if you are just looking for the volume that is coming each month, one way is maintain it outside QuickSight ( possibly an excel ) and add the count manually which only contain the record count not data . This is not a good solution although but it is a simple way to achieve it. If you have some etl or data platform, usually we stored record counts in audit tables which can give the trend analysis on counts .

Hi @David_Wong - any feedback on this?

Regards - Sanjeeb

Hi Sanjeeb2022, thanks for the quick reply.

Just to clarify this is transactional data for accounts. It’s important to be able to drill into each month and review performance but also to see performance month on month and analyse that too.

I’m not sure what you mean when you say add the count manually or how that would work.

When you say replace or refresh the data, I can do this by replacing in the analysis the data, but I don’t want to overwrite it. The Reader will want to look at each month as separate analysis but also see a comparison of performance month on month of the monthly datasets analysis.

For example I currently have 4 datasets (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr) as individual excel files. I want to create an analysis and show each dataset individually in the same analysis(like a template) Then I want to be able to compare performance, trends etc. so in Dec I have a full year that can be looked at on the Dashboard but be able to drill down to months.

I’m just looking now and noticed that I’ve created the dataset and selected use in analysis, should it be use in dataset?

Hi @kjaques - I assume you want to append each month data rather replace it. For excel based snapshot, i doubt whether it is possible or not. Tomorrow we have a monthly Q&A session on QuickSight. If possible, please register and join so that we can discuss this use case. To register, please follow the below link - Th June 22: Live Q&A Webinar with Amazon QuickSight Expert Solution Architects | Fourth Thursday of the month | 12 Noon PDT

Regards - Sanjeeb

Hi Sanjeeb2022,

I have already registered :slight_smile: and I hope we can figure out how I’m going to do this. :crossed_fingers:

A little bit more background might help. I’m dealing with financial data. Loan data received as a snapshot monthly summary report. There are no transactions or dates, other than the month in the file name. The balances change each month against each account id.

1 Like

Thank you @kjaques . Let’s discuss on this tomorrow.

Regards - Sanjeeb

1 Like