Database write-backs with Amazon QuickSight

Hey,

I am a amazon internal quicksight user. We want to user quicksight dashboard as a tool to collect users’s feedback. Ex: I will provide some recommendations on certain cases through dashboard, users can use QS dashboard to input their feedbacks to my recommendations. I found a doc about Perform secure database write-backs with Amazon QuickSight: Perform secure database write-backs with Amazon QuickSight | AWS Business Intelligence Blog. Please advice if our current internal QS version is able to do it.

Thanks!
Cindy

Hi @Cindy
as far as i know there is now QS version (the end user can see).
Also the blog is from May last year i would say there is no limitation.
I used it by myself as well.
BR

Thanks for you reply! that will be great!
Would you please advice if there is any data base access or security issues I should be aware of?

Any addtional info on how to build this write back function would be much apprecaited!
Thanks,
Cindy

Hi @Cindy
as you have to use several services you have to make sure every service can talk to the needed one e.g. Lambda to Redshift.
But if you follow the steps and understand the concept of that approach you should build something.
Hard to tell generic areas to look at as every account is setup differently.
BR

Hi @Cindy
could you solve your issue?
BR

1 Like

We are working on this now. Thanks for checking

1 Like

Hi @Cindy
can we/you solve the topic?
BR

@ErikG A follow up question about write back. We will also need to collect users info maybe like just a unique code for each of the user. So that when a same user input multiple ratings regarding the same items on the dashboard, we are able to only pick up the latest one. can you please advice if quicksight can do that?

Thanks,
Cindy

Good question.
One idea would be to use a “user” dataset with RLS and assign a dynamic default value to an parameter you can handover to the function.

thanks for your reply!

sry, I couldn’t fully understand how does the process work. Would you please provide more clarification on this? like you mentioned to use a user dataset, but how does quicksight connect the input action with user dataset?

Additional explanation would be much appreciated!

Hello @Cindy and @ErikG !

@Cindy were you able to figure out this problem or are you still working on this? If you were able to find a solution could you share it with the QuickSight community?

To clarify, do you want to know more about how to set up RLS and dynamic defaults?

Hello @Cindy !

Are you still working on this issue or were you able to find a solution?

It has been some time since we have heard from you but would still like to help you find a solution. If we do not hear from you in the next 2 business days this topic will be archived.