Do not load data in visuals until parameter selected

Hello. I am creating a quick dashboard with lots of data and wanted to find out how to not have the visuals load data until I select a control. For example, I have 100,000s of customers each with unique customer ID. I would use the control to enter my customer ID, and then the data would load specific to that customer. Otherwise, the visuals are blank when the dashboard is launched. Make sense?

Hi @mdboug

To do this you can do the following:

1. Create a single value parameter of type string. Set the default value to something like “Please selected a customer id”.
  2. Add this parameter as a control to your sheet. When creating the control, link it to the customer id field in your data set.
  3. Then create a filter on the customer id field, select “Custom filter” as filter type. Click use parameters and link it to the parameter you created in the first step.

This will result in no data being shown until a customer id is selected in your control.

Let me know how you get on!

1 Like

Thanks. What about if I want to create multiple value parameter? For example, some large companies have more than one customer ID. I have another report where I am able to separate with commas to return multiple accounts as once. I followed your steps above but used “multiple parameter” instead of single, and it won’t return any when separated by commas.

1 Like

Thanks for solving this issue We also face this issue while we working on our company home builder melbourne customers’ data. But now it’s solved.

1 Like

Hi, @mdboug you can define the multi-value parameter, and for the filter control options (from format menu), select the multi-select drop down option that will allow you to select multiple customer IDs.

I am marking his reply as, “Solution,” but let us know if this is not resolved. Thanks for posting your questions on the QuickSight Community Q&A Forum!

Thanks
Deepak

1 Like