Feature Request: Enhanced Incremental Refresh Behavior in QuickSight

Dear QuickSight Team,

I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to request an enhancement to the current incremental refresh functionality in QuickSight. While the feature is undoubtedly valuable, I have identified an issue that I believe can be improved to further enhance its usability.

Currently, the incremental refresh in QuickSight updates only those records that have the same date as the previous refresh window’s datetime. However, if the date of a record is relatively older than the previous window’s date, the data is appended to the dataset instead of updating the existing values. This behavior poses challenges when dealing with historical data updates or corrections.

To overcome this limitation and provide more flexibility in data management, I kindly request the implementation of an improved incremental refresh behavior with the following features:

1. Date-Based Update: Allow for updating records based on the date value, regardless of their chronological order. This enhancement would enable QuickSight users to refresh data that is relatively older than the previous refresh window’s date, ensuring accurate and up-to-date insights.
  2. Configurable Update Logic: Provide an option to configure the update logic for incremental refresh. This would empower users to define specific criteria or conditions for determining whether to update or append records. For instance, users might choose to update all records with dates within a certain range, rather than being restricted to a specific date.
  3. Granular Control: Enable granular control over the incremental refresh process, allowing users to specify which columns or fields should be updated or appended. This flexibility would help streamline data management by selectively updating only the relevant information, avoiding unnecessary duplication or overwriting.

I believe that implementing these enhancements would significantly improve the functionality and usability of QuickSight’s incremental refresh feature. Users would gain more control over their data updates and corrections, resulting in more accurate and reliable visualizations and analysis.

Thank you for considering this feature request. I appreciate your dedication to continuously improving QuickSight, and I look forward to seeing how it evolves in the future.

2 Likes

Hi @ajinkya_ghodake - Welcome to AWS QuickSight community and thanks for posting this question. The details are really good and it is useful from incremental refresh prospective. I am keeping some of the QuickSight experts to get their feedback on this.

Hi @Ramon_Lopez @Max @David_Wong @SD_QS - Can you please have a look on this and provide your feedback. This is really a good details from incremental refresh for the data set.

Regards - Sanjeeb

1 Like

Thank you @ajinkya_ghodake

We are working some features to improve this functionality. Will share your recommendations with product.

If interested in being in the loop as we develope please reach out via direct message.

thank you,
Ramon

2 Likes

Thank you @Ramon_Lopez . We can mark this as feature request and close this ticket :slight_smile:

Have a great weekend.

Regards - Sanjeeb

1 Like