Filtered by the whole month

Hi

The dashboard I’m working on contains many datasets and contains a date filter that’s selected by the user.

There are a few calculated fields that should be displayed on the dashboard, such as MTD, which should be filtered by the whole month.

What is the best way to separate the filters for those calculated fields?

Could you please let me know how to make the parameter filter the entire month of a certain date instead of just the day of the selected date?

I appreciate your help in advance.

Noy

Hi @Noys ,

Not too clear with the ask, but will try to add details as per my understanding and break this down to 2 asks.

1. You want to calculate and display MTD metrics, which most probably wont need filtering if we use period related window functions for calculation.
  2. If there are more visuals or use cases that you want to filter by the month, the approach I would use is creating a calculated field to check month(date field from dataset)= month(data from parameter). Then we can use this field to filter by 1 or true , based on the field definition.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Prantika

1 Like

Hi @prantika_sinha, thank you so much!

1. It’s not the exact scenario, it’s the same as you described in the second clause. Actually I’m seeking for filter by month, but in the same time, the other visuals should filter only by the picked date.

As I understood recently, the solution should be to add the calculate fields that should be filter by month to the data set, and in the dataset, to create calculated fields that will do aggregation by month as you said: if month(date field from dataset)= month(data from parameter) and declare it to be PRE FILTER.
So then the filter on the dashboard, won’t influent it.
please let me know if you have other idea,
Thank you very much!
I appreciate your help.
Noy

In case you need further assistance with your problem, please create a sample dashboard with sample dataset showing your problem state using Arena and please create a new post. (Details on using Arena can be found here - QuickSight Arena