For 1000 users, do I need to create 1000 dashboards

Hi,

I have more than 1000 users and all the users have their different personal filters so on the wen application user will first apply the filter and then the respective data must appear to them as per the applied filters. Here, we can see that filters are going to change every time and this is also possible that one user keeps changing the filters so how should I create the dashboard for all the users if filters are keep on changing?

And I need to implement it by using the Quicksight API as filters will be changed on user’s demand so user will provide the filters and I need to send it via API and whatever data is fetched, that needs to be shown to the user.

Can anyone help me out to achieve the above scenarios?

Thanks.

is it a embedded dashboard? we have a demo showing how QuickSight response to a filter in a web application. is it what you are looking for?

Yes it must be an embedded dashboard as per my use case. I went through the documentation, to get the embedded URL also, dashboard id needs to be provided, it means I need to create dashboard first but in my case I have more than 1000 users, so how can I create 1000 dashboards and then get the embedded URL for them?

Is there any gap in my understanding or can I do it by any other method/way?

Thanks

@royyung, I have a similar question:

I have a dashboard where I see the performance stats of my team.

I’d like to create a single dashboard where each user logs in and their personal stats are automatically filtered so they can’t see their peers’ stats.

I was thinking of creating a dashboard for each one but thinking about scalability it wouldn’t be functional.

So, I wonder if something like creating a filter can be done in which, if the QS user is, for example, jhon@mycompany.com, it filters the information from the name_id field and shows only the information of the id 12345abc and so on with the rest.

Is it possible to create something like this?

@Vishal_Prajapati, you can create one dashboard with all data and allow user to select filter in your web application. When user change the filter, the application passes the parameter to QuickSight dashboard and data will be refreshed. I have attached a screenshot in below.

@DannyV the question you raised is a bit different. In your use case, do you allow users to see other users’ data? If no, then you mean apply Row Level Security(RLS). You just need to create one dashboard and setup a RLS on the dataset and share the dashboard to all users. As you have setup RLS, each user can only see their own data. Even a filter is available, they still cannot see others data.

Another case is… if you allow users to see each other’s data, you may apply Dynamic Default Parameter, you only need to create one dashboard and assign default parameter values for each user or user group. When they login dashboard, they will see the default filter applied, but they can still change to another parameter Creating parameter defaults in Amazon QuickSight - Amazon QuickSight

1 Like

Thanks for the information @royyung

For the filter parameters, can you please provide me the API documentation or link so that I can start implementing and check for the results?

And by the API itself is it possible to show and hide any particular column if needed?

Thanks.

Show or hide column is not available. regarding the link or document, you may refer to below

Suppose if user selects or deselects any column, then user logged out, and then again logging in after 2 days, then those last selection will persist or not?

Same for filter also?

For embedded dashboard, you may use QuickSight SDK function setParameters to capture the parameters selected by users. Or you can use function parametersChangeCallback to capture parameter when user change selection. When user login next time, can use function setParameters to pass the parameters for user

User selected parameter will NOT persist in Embedded QuickSight dashboard.

1 Like