Get active event as a line char over time

I have an event dataset in QuickSight, where each record has two date fields: startDate and endDate. An event is considered active at time T if T is between startDate and endDate. I want to build a visualization of active events over time as a line chart. However, I am struggling to understand how that can be done in AWS QuickSight. Any ideas?

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out. This can get pretty complicated depending on your needs. If the granularity of time that you are interested in is contained (say to a day), and for best performance, I’d recommend creating an aggregate table that computes the active number of events by day. If your needs are more granular in that the user can ask questions down to the minute level, then you may need to compute those values on the fly, which I think means you may need to create a parameter for Start Date and End Date and then use calculations to test if any event is between those values.

Best,
Sean

Hi, @raghav706. Did @SeanBoon’s solution work for you? I am marking his reply as, “Solution,” but let us know if this is not resolved. Thanks for posting your questions on the QuickSight Community Q&A Forum!