Getting parameters to properly filter based on filter instead of "ALL"

Hello! New member here :slight_smile: I have a question I hope that the members here can help me with.

In QuickSight, I’m trying to use parameters to dynamically calculate a calculated column based on a drop down filter that is configured to only be able to select one patient at a time. But when I add the parameter name to the title visual, it says “All” instead of filtering on the patient selected. I need to know what I’m doing wrong.

Here is my calculation itself:
Need Attention calculated field = sumover(sum(ifelse({action_group}=“null”,0,ifelse({action_group}=“”,0,ifelse(isNull({action_group}),0,1)))),[${PatientName}])

The $PatientName parameter is used to select the one patient. The configuration is integer/single value/drop down. This control was added as a filter.

I then created a $NeedAttention parameter. The configuration is integer/single value but the control was NOT added as a filter.

The filter uses the Need Attention calculated field and sets it equal to the $PatientName parameter. The field (full_name) that is being used as the filter is a calculated fields itself that concatenates first and last name.

Then I pulled in the Title visual and selected the <<$NeedAttention>> from the list of parameters to choose from.

Once I selected a patient the value just says “All”. I do realize that I can default it to value of zero but that is not my issue. The issue is why isn’t it calculating based on the patient selected?

Any guidance will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

You can reference parameters in calculated fields and the calculated fields will change. But changing one parameter does not change a different parameter.

It seems like it is all working besides changing the other parameter’s name.

Sorry if I miss understood but why do you need two parameters? Can you just use one with filtering and using it in the calculated field?

Hi Max - I have to create dashboard that focuses on one person at a time when you filter on the person’s name the visualization gives a summary of that one person. In the calculated Title feature I have the person’s name parameter which easily works because the user will be filtering on the person and then that parameter changes as expected, however I want to also include in the text box the age and gender using age and gender parameters that changed based on the person selected. Hope that makes it a little clearer now.

Welcome @khouston! We are so glad to have you join us here!

1 Like

I would create a table or other visual on the side that displays those values.

This table would be filtered to you parameter and would show the values you want.

Thanks Max - yes unfortunately so far that’s the only workaround, although not a desirable one. I don’t understand why the Title visualization doesn’t filter the parameter properly. Bringing in a parameter that strictly maps to a filter works fine but anything more complicated that, it just says all. I think I’m missing something because they wouldn’t have incorporated the use of parameters in the title viz if we couldn’t do these sorts of things. Just the fact it defaults to “All” lets me know that it should be a possibility and maybe my calculation needs tweaking.

1 Like

Hi, @khouston. Did the response from @Max answer your question? I am marking this reply as, “Solution,” but let us know if this is not resolved. Thanks for posting your questions on the QuickSight Community Q&A Forum!

Hey @khouston did you ever figure this out?

I have a table that would filter the entire dashboard if you clicked on a single entry, but the text in Narrative tied to the parameter doesn’t update… It remains as [All] :smiling_face_with_tear:

Wondering if there is a workaround