Getting visual value via API or embedding

I am embedding a dashboard of visuals in our own app, and I’d like to be able to get values rendered on the dashboard from my app (either a single value, or a table of values etc). This would allow us to have all our calculations etc defined on our QS dashboard, but be able to pipe out some of these values into to another system.

Is there a way to do this via the API or Embedding SDK?

The only way I can currently see to get the values is by having a click action on the visual, but I’d like to do this for several visuals in one go, in a more automated way, without the user having to click.

2 Likes

Hello @nday, so currently, there is not a way to actually retrieve data that is being returned from a dataset or within a dashboard through the APIs. I’d say the only true data sharing component between the front end of your application and QuickSight is done through parameters, where you can control the filtering or possible pass back a single value through it. This would likely need to be accomplished through API calls to your database on the front end, where you could implement similar filtering completed in QuickSight based on those parameter values to receive the data.

At AWS, our roadmap is primarily driven by our customers. Your feedback helps us build a
better service. I hope the work-around I mentioned above helps guide you towards a working solution, but I have also tagged this as a feature request. Let me know if you have any further questions, otherwise I can archive this topic for our support team. Thank you!

1 Like

Hello @nday, since we have not heard back with any remaining questions, I will archive this topic. Thank you!