Help with setting up parameter dropdowns and filter what an analysis shows

Hey. I am new to Quicksight and I am working on my first analysis/dashboard. I have a question relating to parameter control filters.

I have successfully added parameter filter dropdowns such as “Store”, “Country” and “Game” to my analysis which will become a dashboard. The first two dropdowns load perfectly, but the “Game” dropdown won’t show, supposedly because there are more than 1000 values in this list.

Is there an easy way (I am new) to limit what values shown in the “Game” dropdown based on “Store”. I.e. I’d only want to show Games that are live in store A, store B and store C, but not store D, E etc.

I have tried to use “Specific values” instead of “Link to datasets” on the parameters page for “Store”, but this does not seem to do anything to the dropdown for “Game”. I am also unsure whether this Specific Values limits what’s shown in the analysis at all or whether I am just polishing the dropdown list.

Thanks for helping!!

Hi @Joony
You can accomplish this using “show relevant features”
Please refer to the below community question.

Also, please refer to Point 6 in the below documentation

Regards
Vetri

Thank you @n_vetri . Some of it worked. I have managed to create cascading filters by using “Show only relevant values” and then linked them to one another.

I am still struggling with a few things however:

1. My current full list of “stores” contains around 70 different stores. While there are some kind of values in all 70 stores in the datasets, only want to show around 10 stores. How can I make this “store” dropdown list AND dashboard ONLY show those 10 stores, and still using cascading filter controls?

2. I have a dashboard with cascading parameter controls set now but it seems pretty buggy. In the below example I ticked Store A, then Game B. That worked. Then when I unticked Game B, all dropdown values disappeared from all fields and it just showed a search field option (screenshot below of how it looked). Am I doing something wrong and can the solution to point 1) help me resolve this?

Essentially what I am after is a filtered dropdown that only shows Store A, Store B, Store C etc. I tried to achieve this by using “Filter list” with select values but it does not seem like I can link that to a parameter, as this option is only available using Custom Filter, but there on the other hand I don’t seem to have an option to add specific values that I want to show in my dropdown… I just want to be able to limit the values that I show in my dashboard from the dataset. I don’t want to show everything in the dataset in my dropdowns, and I’d like this to be using linked parameter control dropdowns.

Rgds

@n_vetri Anyone that is able to help a new beginner, this is what I am trying to accomplish. I don’t know if I can accomplish this by adding filters?

I already have added control parameters and cascaded filters, but the underlying data and the dropdown values do not seem to want to change based on how I filter.

Could someone help me? All I want is to understand how I can set a filter to show value A and C but not B and D from the dataset. I also need my cascaded filter to only show value A and B, not a full list of all values that exist in the dataset.

Hello @Joony, I apologize for the delay. I know handling some of these issues can be very complicated and I am here to help if this problem continues to persist. I can describe the best option to solve this problem below.

The simplest way to implement this would be to use a WHERE clause in your SQL statement to exclude the values you want to avoid displaying in your controls. If you have multiple datasets that would require this change, you could create one specifically for the controls, add your where clauses, and return only the necessary values that you want users to filter by. Once this is done, using the show relevant values would ensure the Product Dropdown and Countries Dropdown would only show values related to the store selected. Then, if all was selected, the users could still see data from the Stores or Products that are excluded.

I hope this helps guide you towards your goal. I am going to mark my response as a solution for now but if you still need assistance please let me know!