Hide/Show visuals and tabs based on user

We would like to see if is possible to automatically show or hide certain visuals based on user type (let say basic , standard , premium)without having to share a different dashboard for different type users.
Statement should be like if current user type = premium then show this visual.
I have have read the documentation about using conditional rules using parameters but I’m not sure the way it works can achieve this result.
The data source is a MySql direct query using rls.
Thank you,
Domenico

Hi @Dom,

You can use Row-Level and Column-Level security to restrict access to certain elements to users or groups of your dashboards and reports.

The workshop shows how they work, and you should be able to find some videos on YouTube as well.

1 Like

Hi,

you need a dataset with all your users and/or groups where you define the category.

Then you create a parameter and use dynamic default. This way you give the parameter a value, depending on the user/group.

Then switch to free form mode. There you can go to the settings of a visual and look at the menu “rules”. Check the option, that the visual is hidden by default and then add a rule.
Choose the parameter you created and as a value you choose basic/premium/etc. depening who is allowed to see the visual. You can add multiple rules, so multiple user types can see the visual.

4 Likes

Thank you I’ll try setting this up.
It worked thank you very much!

1 Like

Hello Thomas,

Quick question. Is the value of the parameter supposed to change automatically according to the user entering the dashboard?

I just don’t understand how the parameter selects the row of the user entering the dashboard and changes it’s default.
Thanks

Hi,
yes, this happens automatically.

So the parameters checks the user and group columns for the username and then takes the corresponding value from the value column.

You can check you username in the top right menu (the little person icon).

Hello! Question for people that have has success limiting the visibility of an entire tab based on role… I am familiar with how to set up visibility for a particular visual based on a parameter, but how do you set the visibility for the entire tab? Or do you just apply this treatment for every visual on a tab ? Is there a way to make the actual tab disappear too? thanks for the help!