How do I copy analysis tab to another analysis

I have several Analysis with various Tabs that include charts on specific topics.
I would like to create a new Analysis that includes specific Tabs from different existing Analysis.

How do I copy (duplicate) an analysis tab in to another analysis?

Best regards,
Nadav

1 Like

Hi @Nadav_Kavalerchik
Currently you will not be able to copy a sheet from one analysis to another or combine analysis from multiple tabs.

We have a feature called ā€œAssets as Codeā€ in roadmap, that will let you do this programmatically.
https://democentral.learnquicksight.online/#Dashboard-FeatureDemo-Assets-As-Code

Regards
Vetri

1 Like

Hi,

You can copy the source analysis and modify as per your requirement until any work around

Hi @n_vetri ,
Looking forward to use ā€œAsses as Codeā€, as it will also help us with another major issue, when we need to duplicate a Sheet and make minor changes in one of the settings.
Is there any ETA on this? can we join any beta testing group?

Thank you very much for your quick reply!

Best regards,
Nadav

Hi @Naveed ,

Yes. this is what we currently do.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Best regards,
Nadav

1 Like

Is there an eta for ā€œAs Codeā€ solution? Would love to beta test this. We orchestrate all our infra using AWS CDK. Would be great to be able to define ā€œas codeā€ in CDK and update the analysis and dashboards.

1 Like

Hi,

Hope the ā€˜As Codeā€™ solution is still on the roadmap and look forward to it being released.

2 Likes

@n_vetri - any news on this front?
Thanks!

Hi @Ronny
Following two APIs will give the complete json representation of a dashboard or analysis.
You can create a new analysis that combines specific sheet from other analyses using these APIs

1 Like

Hi @n_vetri

Those APIs only give us information about our analysis. Is that correct?
How can I create a new analysis with sheets from other analyses? Could you describe the steps?

I am sorry if this is a very basic question, but I am new to this and I am really trying to learn.

Thank you in advance :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi @jcatulo
Thank you for your question. You will execute these APIs to get the json details for each sheet in each dashboard. Then you can combine these JSON objects into valid QuickSight dashboard definitoin and use it in create-dashboard or update-dashboard API call as input.

1 Like

Hi @n_vetri

Ivā€™e tried follow the guides to describe_analysis and use this output in update_analysis using jupyter notebook + boto3 library

It seems that the describe analysis definition, which should return the desired json file with the analysis sheets described properly isnā€™t working with boto3 (error: ā€˜QuickSightā€™ object has no attribute ā€˜describe_analysis_definitionā€™)

Is thereā€™s any common mistake regarding using this command?
If not, is thereā€™s a workaround to extract that info using another command/library?

Hi @Harel
Can you please confirm if you have updated your boto3 to the latest version?

Regards
Vetri

1 Like

Iā€™m using version 1.26.3, and the documentation Iā€™m referring to is suitable for version 1.26.132 (and higher, I assume).
Should I do anything in that field?

any updates @n_vetri ?

1 Like
#keep boto3 updated with the latest version
#!pip install --upgrade pip
#!pip install --upgrade boto3
import boto3
print('Boto3 version is : ',boto3.__version__)
2 Likes

Thanks, it looks like the boto3 version is solved and now I can call describe_analysis_definition() perfectly fine.

However, I do have another problem following @n_vetri instructions above.

He said I can use this function to retrieve all the necessary parameters for the task.
I believe it can be done using update_analysis() however some parameters in this function are missing even when using describe_analysis_definition()

I canā€™t seem to find the Parameters & SourceEntity values needed for update_analysis() function

1. is this the correct function for the task?
  2. if so, where can I find those parameters?
1 Like

@Koushik_Muthanna I can assume this actions arenā€™t available on boto3, right?

Hi @Harel,

I am curious did you mange to merge analysis using API ?