How to create multiple pages Paginated reports in QuickSight

I have a dataset that contains columns such as make, model, truck_id and time. I have a requirement that I need to create a paginated report. If a user selects two values in “make” like(Ford and Kenworth), the data related to both “make” should not be aggregated into a single table or visual. Instead, it should be displayed on separate pages for each manufacturer.

I have made some progress in meeting this requirement:

1. I created a parameter with the name “MakeParam” with dynamic default and then created a control and linked a dataset with the column “make”
  2. as I have three values in my “make” column that is (Ford, Peterbilt, and Kenworth) I created three visuals in the paginated reports with page breaks for each visuals. and applied the “MakeParam” parameter to three visuals
  3. I started selecting each visual and adding the rules(the option will be available when I select a visual and then select format visual) like if the parameter “MakeParam” = Peterbilt then show the visual.
  4. repeated step 3 for Ford and Kenworth

This works if I select any one option available in control if I select Peterbilt from the option it shows the data related to Peterbilt if the “rules” conditions satisfy and every other visual will be hidden. Similarly, if I select Ford …

Here comes the issue “If I am selecting multiple options from the control like Ford and Peterbilt then all the visuals are hidden”

@teja1 ,

Before you do further design on the report itself, how are you planning to present this to the user ?
Currently the parameter control is not available for paginated report .
Or this is a combination of dashboard and report ?

Additionally could you provide a few more details on the dynamic default setup and you have a multi value parameter [Screenshots will be helpful ]?

Kind regards,
Koushik

Hi @Koushik_Muthanna,

Thank you for the response.

The reports will be consumed by users through a web application that embeds QuickSight. Currently, I’ve created a visual on the sheet in analysis and then duplicated the visual to a paginated report, making it a combination of a dashboard and a report.

dynamic default: while creating the parameter there is an option called dynamic default in that I selected the “make” column, which includes values like Ford, Peterbilt, and Kenworth.

After further consideration, I’ve realized that the current approach may not be the most efficient because I am creating a separate visual for each value in the “make” column what if in the future there is a new value in the “make” column? I can’t create a visual for every new value in the column so I’m exploring alternative methods, and the Repeating Section feature in the QuickSight Paginated report seems to be a promising solution. However, as it is not currently available, I would appreciate your guidance on any other alternatives or best practices to efficiently achieve the desired outcome.

Thank you for your assistance.

Hello @teja1, my apologies for the delayed response! I was thinking in regards to your first question about the rules that if you switch your Rule to check for MakeParam contains rather than equals, you should be able to check for different Makes as they are added in the control. I am not sure though if this would mess up how your dashboard is displaying the visuals in case you are stacking them on top of each other. It may be best to switch to a single value parameter where only a single option for the make can be selected at a time.

Also, in regards to the dynamic default functionality. This is more so set up to be configurable with a User or Group level permissions. Let’s say you have a user that is only able to view Peterbilt or that is their primary focus, then you could have a dataset that contains UserName, UserArn, GroupName, or GroupArn as the first column, then Make as the 2nd column where Peterbilt is filled into the field. Then, you could apply that dataset for your dynamic default as it is linked to a specific user. I hope that makes sense! It may be worth considering adding RLS to your datasets if certain users are only able to view specific makes within the dashboard. I’ll link some documentation below. Let me know if that helps!

Hello @teja1, since we have not heard back from you with any further follow-up questions, I will go ahead and mark my above response as the solution. If you still have issues with this, or need any further explanation on the functionality, please let me know. Thank you!