How to render an arbitrary (data-defined) number of text visuals?

Greetings!

I’m working on a PoC to port an existing monthly report to QuickSight, and one of the limitations faced so far is that it needs a multi-page appendix with full descriptions for the groups of one of its charts - one page per entry, all read from a separate dataset.

However, not all groups are present at a time on the aforementioned chart - so how to render an arbitrary number of text visuals based on a filtered dataset?

1 Like

Hello @ElSaico, welcome to the QuickSight community!

What determines whether or not groups are present in the chart? The most likely solution to this is going to be a mix of utilizing the Free Form layout for the sheets that you want to display these visuals on. That allows you to utilize the Conditional Rules option within the Visual Properties pane. This option gives you the option to utilize parameter values to determine whether the visual will display or not.

Then if these groups can be determined by the QuickSight UserName or GroupName, you can use the dynamic default functionality to set specific parameter values to TRUE or FALSE that would ensure only the correct visuals are displayed. I’ll link some documentation related to my suggestions, but I think this is the best course of action. Let me know if you have any questions!

Hello @DylanM, thank you for the answer!

Hmmmm… with conditional rules I can make a template and put the relevant IDs on a parameter. Let’s try it out, then.

1 Like

Hello @ElSaico, I’ll mark my response as the solution for now, but please let me know if you have any follow-up questions. I will be happy to guide you further. Thank you!