How to version QS objects?

I would like to know how to version analyzes, dashboards and dataset.

1 Like

You can create version of analysis using templates : create-template — AWS CLI 1.27.76 Command Reference

or with newly launched Assets as code APIs, you can export the definition of Analysis/Dashboard and do version management in your own versioning tools.

Analysis : describe-analysis-definition — AWS CLI 1.27.76 Command Reference

Dashboard : describe-dashboard-definition — AWS CLI 1.27.76 Command Reference

For Datasets, QuickSight UI has inbuilt versioning available and can used to revert or track the changes

1 Like

Hi @Ashok ,
OverSight for Amazon QuickSight is a solution that has the ability to create versioned “Releases” of your Analyses, Datasets and Dashboards. These operate as effective “snapshots” of your objects at a point in time, so you can easily recreate them in the future and in any AWS account, from the click of a button.

1 Like

Hello, i have been trying to use the describe-dashboard-definition cli command but i get the following error:

Invalid choice: ‘describe-dashboard-definition’, maybe you meant:

describe-dashboard-permissions

Any idea what might be the reason?

Cli command used:
$ aws quicksight describe-dashboard-definition --aws-account-id *********** --dashboard-id ************** > description_output.txt

Thanks,
Nikolas

@nikolasrad Can you try updating the CLI version and test the same command again.

Steps available in this link : Install or update to the latest version of the AWS CLI - AWS Command Line Interface