I have migrated a dashboard with 2 sheets Unable to view since creation failed in API

Hello Team ,

I have a dashboard where dataset is made with joining 2 datsets

1. Data from RDS
  2. Data from Excel Sheet
    I want to migrate this dashboard , So i have manually recreated the dataset in different environment . And when Dashboard is migrated The creation has failed , Iam not able to find the reason why the dashboard creation has failed .

I tried giving permission to myself aws quicksight update-dashboard-permissions --aws-account-id 78379334**** --dashboard-id “874-593b-4d1e-9700-30dab20" --grant-permissions Principal = "arn:aws:sts::8327687****:assumed-role/br-poweruser/deepa.singh@company.com”,Actions= “quicksight:DescribeDashboard”,“quicksight:QueryDashboard”,“quicksight:ListDashboardVersions”

however the command is not correct

Please confirm the way we can process this

Hi @deepa.singh, it sounds like you are facing an issue with migrating a QuickSight dashboard that uses a dataset joined from RDS and an Excel sheet. To troubleshoot and resolve this issue, here are some steps and considerations:

Permissions Issue

The command you used to update the dashboard permissions seems to have a syntax issue. Below is the corrected command for updating the dashboard permissions:

aws quicksight update-dashboard-permissions \
    --aws-account-id 78379334**** \
    --dashboard-id "874-593b-4d1e-9700-30dab20" \
    --grant-permissions Principal="arn:aws:sts::8327687****:assumed-role/br-poweruser/deepa.singh@company.com",Actions="quicksight:DescribeDashboard","quicksight:QueryDashboard","quicksight:ListDashboardVersions"

Steps to Migrate the Dashboard

1. Recreate the Dataset:
  • Ensure that the datasets (RDS and Excel) have been recreated correctly in the new environment.
  • Verify that the join conditions between these datasets are set up exactly as in the original environment.
  1. Check Dataset Permissions:
  • Make sure that the necessary permissions are granted to access both the RDS and Excel datasets in the new environment.
  • Update dataset permissions using the following command (if needed):
aws quicksight update-data-set-permissions \
    --aws-account-id 78379334**** \
    --data-set-id "dataset-id" \
    --grant-permissions Principal="arn:aws:sts::8327687****:assumed-role/br-poweruser/deepa.singh@company.com",Actions="quicksight:DescribeDataSet","quicksight:QueryDataSet","quicksight:DescribeIngestion","quicksight:ListIngestions"
  1. Update Dashboard Permissions:
  • Ensure that the permissions are correctly set for the dashboard using the corrected command provided above.
  1. Dashboard Resource Permissions:
  • Make sure the IAM role or user has the required permissions to access the resources (datasets, dashboards) in QuickSight.
  1. Error Logs:
  • Check the AWS CloudWatch logs for any error messages related to QuickSight. This might give you more details on why the dashboard creation failed.
  1. Data Source Configuration:
  • Verify that the data sources (RDS and Excel) are configured correctly and accessible in the new environment.
  • Ensure the connection settings (e.g., endpoint, credentials) for RDS are correct.
  1. Excel File Upload:
  • If you are using an Excel file, ensure it is uploaded to S3 and accessible by QuickSight in the new environment.
  • Update the dataset to point to the new S3 location of the Excel file if it has changed.

Troubleshooting Steps

1. Test Datasets Independently:
  • Test each dataset independently in QuickSight to ensure they are working correctly.
  1. Simplify the Dashboard:
  • Try simplifying the dashboard (e.g., remove some visuals) and then migrate it to identify if a specific visual or component is causing the issue.
  1. Recreate the Dashboard:
  • As a last resort, manually recreate the dashboard in the new environment to ensure all components are configured correctly.

If you follow these steps and still encounter issues, I would recommend filing a case with AWS Support where we can dive into the details so that we can help you further. Here are the steps to open a support case. If your company has someone who manages your AWS account, you might not have direct access to AWS Support and will need to raise an internal ticket to your IT team or whomever manages your AWS account. They should be able to open an AWS Support case on your behalf.

Did this solution work for you? I am marking this reply as, “Solution,” but let us know if this is not resolved. Thanks for posting your questions on the QuickSight Community!

1 Like