Invite User with a "+" sign in the email address

I’m testing Row Level Security and I want to create multiple users enabling me to login and out to test.
say my email address is kevin@acme.com. I can email myself as kevin+teamA@acme.com and kevin+teamB@acme.com. These email will be forwarded to my email server and then to my email client just fine.

When adding new users to QuickSight, the add user does not take email address with “+.”
I get this error: “Invalid user name. Acceptable characters are lowercase letters, uppercase letters, numbers, ‘_’, ‘-’ or ‘.’.”

Is there a workaround other than adding a feature request?

Hi @Kevin_Mueller, welcome to the QuickSight Community – I even tired using the CLI/API and URL Encoding (%2B), it’s still giving the same error message. I’m afraid using “+” may not be an option.

Please go ahead and file a case with AWS Support where they can dive into the details so that they can help you further. If the issue is not resolved, you can ask to put in a feature request. Here are the steps to open a support case. If your company has someone who manages your AWS account, you might not have direct access to AWS Support and will need to raise an internal ticket to your IT team or whomever manages your AWS account. They should be able to open an AWS Support case on your behalf. Hope this helps!

1 Like

Hi @Kevin_Mueller - It is a good practice not to use special characters in Email address. By saying that, a service request to AWS may help us and we can treat it as a feature request.

Regards - Sanjeeb

Did this solution work for you? I am marking this reply as, “Solution,” but let us know if this is not resolved. Thanks for posting your questions on the QuickSight Community!

well, its the best I can hope for. I know AWS uses the ‘+’ internally for services.
But closed is ok.

1 Like

Thank you @Kevin_Mueller.