Is it possible to assign dataset or analysis to users/group automatically?

how can we create quick sight datasets accessible to everyone. Right now, we have to explicitly give access to dataset by the user/group who created the dataset. is there any way to make this automatic sharing of datasets and analysis.
Is it possible in QS to create a rule and group that will ask “whether you want to add this dataset to this group”?

I will really appreciate the help.

Thanks & Regards,
Sonal Jain

Hi @sonalJain - You can do this via boto3 API. Create a generic program ( python script) and pass the data set name as argument and give the permission to everyone.

See the boto3 link for the same.

https://boto3.amazonaws.com/v1/documentation/api/latest/reference/services/quicksight/client/update_data_set_permissions.html

Regards - Sanjeeb

Hi @sonalJain ,
i’m not sure if automaticly but two ideas.

1. you can also use shared folders, right
  2. instead of automatic, you could take a programmatic approach. Where a lambda function will check and attach permission.
    BG

Thank you @Sanjeeb2022 , @ErikG for the response. Is it possible to add a event bridge trigger from quick sight once data set is created then trigger event bridge and execute lambda and update permission?
I tried with the link provided by @Sanjeeb2022 and it worked but couldn’t found a way to add even bridge trigger.

Regards,
Sonal Jain

Hi @sonalJain - I am thinking of one solution which may be useful.

1. When you creating an user, a cloudtrail event should be generated. You can create filter only create user api calls.
  2. From the above one you can call your lambda function which essentially update the permission.

Give a try, hope this will solve your issue.

Regards - Sanjeeb

Hi @sonalJain

We hope the response from @Sanjeeb2022 & @ErikG helped you.
Let us know if this is resolved. And if it is, please help the community by marking the answer as a “Solution”.

If we do not hear back in the next 3 days, we will archive the question.

Many thanks.

Hello @apjvinod,

Apology for delay in response. The response from @Sanjeeb2022 was helpful.

Thanks & Regards,
Sonal Jain

Just to link on this thread - I was able to successfully link a Lambda to the CreateUser trail event. BUT there seems to be some kind of delay that varies between my users when they can actually SEE the data assigned to the folder. It’s variable and usually after they click around for a good 10+ minutes it shows up. What can I do to avoid this delay? Seems like a caching bug from our perspective.