Is it possible to change a user name or email address after creating Quicksight User account?

Is there ANY way to change a username or email address of a Quicksight user account after creation? Even in the CLI I do not see a way to update either of these. I know you can use the CLI to change a username in IAM, but this does not affect Quicksight.

If not, is this a feature that can be added? This seems like a potentially common ask rather than recreating a new account and having to set up all new resource permissions when a user changes email addresses, or requires a name change.

Any help appreciated!
Tim

Hi @TimB - I believe you can not change the user name after creating the user in QuickSight. You have to create a new user and delete the older user ( I believe) . Did you explore the aws Quicksight boto 3 “update user” - update_user - Boto3 1.26.137 documentation.

Hi @SD_QS @Koushik_Muthanna @David_Wong - Did you have such requirement to update user name and email address of the user after creating it, Is it possible in QuickSight? Please advise.

Regards - Sanjeeb

Thank you for the reply. I thought this would be a feature important to have for Admins to manage user accounts, especially if a user has a name change (such as marriage) or an updated email address. Maybe this is something that could be added in the future.

1 Like

I think you should be able to use the API to update the email address but not the username. I see “Email” in the request body for UpdateUser.

2 Likes

Thanks @David_Wong .

Hi @TimB - If David’s suggestion worked for you, Please mark the suggestion as solution so that it can help to wider QuickSight community.

Regards - Sanjeeb

1 Like

Thank you David and Sanjeeb! Yes, you are correct, this does work for updating the email.

2 Likes