Is there a Calculation object limit in Visual Table?

Is there a Calculation object limit in Visual Table?

I have 20 hidden Group by fields and 16 Value calculated fields.

When I add one (1) more Value field, the data wont display and I get this generic message
“Your database generated a SQL exception. This can be caused by query timeouts, resource constraints, unexpected DDL alterations before or during a query, and other database errors. Check your database settings and your query and try again”

I don’t think you’re hitting the limit.

I think it’s more likely that QuickSight is timing out when performing all your calculations in the analysis. I would suggest moving the calculations to your dataset. Your visuals will then load faster.

1 Like

16 of these Value calculated fields are table computed and cannot be moved to DB level.

Is there really a limit? Any other work-around?

Thanks!

Hi @bennygene ,
Nothing like that I had already used more than 15 calculated field in analysis area but never faced any challenges.

When you use pivot charts and table charts with more fields, the specified error will occur.
So try to avoid to put more field in a sing visual instead you can separate it into multiple visual types.

Thanks & Regards
Biswajit Dash

2 Likes

Hi @bennygene - If your issue is still not resolved, can you please raise a ticket to AWS Customer support team so that they can see the details by screenshare and provide the solution. To raise a ticket, please follow the link - Creating support cases and case management - AWS Support

Regards -Sanjeeb

1 Like

Thanks! we’re going to open a ticket. I just want to make sure that I’m not going nuts before doing so.

1 Like

Thanks @bennygene and agree with you :slight_smile:
Once you will get the details on the solution or recommendations, kindly share to the community so that it can help in down the line.

Have a great week ahead.

Regards - Sanjeeb

1 Like

Good morning!

We opened a ticket on this issue and havent heard from the AWS QS Support yet.

I found a work around that relies on QS’s filter and functionalities.

The formula with issue:
Past Product Owner =
ifelse(lastValue( {Created Date},[{Product ID} ASC, {Created Date} DESC], [{Product ID}])={Past Date Param},lastValue({Product Owner},[{Product ID} ASC, {Created Date} DESC], [{Product ID}]),NULL)

Working Formula:
Past Product Owner =
lastValue({Product Owner},[{Product ID} ASC, {Created Date} DESC], [{Product ID}])
**Note: removing the blanket statement/condition to make sure info return is from previous row of data and relying on Rank and filter combination so far made it work

Will update once we here from AWS QS Support

1 Like

Thanks @bennygene - You can mark your suggestion as solution so that it can help other community members. Glad you are able to fix the issue.

Have a great week ahead.

Regards - Sanjeeb

1 Like