Is there a way to create user level variable in QuickSight?

Is there a way to create user level variable in QuickSight? I want to set the variable with some user level attributes and user them in custom SQLs by default.
I know we can use dataset parameters and map them to analysis parameters to pass values. however, this needs to be done for each analysis (not convenient with self service model). RLS can be used but it applies on outer query, so doesn’t help in optimizing queries in large data.

-Thanks, Neeraj

1 Like

Hello @Neerajkchoudhary, welcome to the QuickSight community!

If you are wanting to target the amount of data that is ingested rather than filtering data after being ingested into the dataset, the parameter on the dataset layer and linking it to the analysis is the only solution currently available.

A possible way to manage this in a way that is more closely related to your desired output would be to utilize the parameter with the RLS together. If you are wanting to restrict access to users, the RLS should be applied on the dataset, but if you want to specify the filter dynamically, you can apply it as a dataset on the analysis and attach it to the parameter as a dynamic default value. That way it would be user specific and also filter the data while it is being ingested.

I’ll link some documentation below. Let me know if you have any questions!

Go to the section with this header: To add a DDP to your analysis

Hello @Neerajkchoudhary, did my last response help you resolve the issue you are facing? If so, please mark it as the solution. Otherwise, let me know what other problems you have run into while trying to implement a solution for this. Thank you!

Hi DylanM,

Thanks for your inputs, I tried using DDP. The Problem with DDP is that it needs to be create for each Analysis.
However, I tried using it, but it looks like we can set the value from same dataset. What I want to do is - create a DDP ASParam1 from Dataset1 and use ASParam1 in Analysis from Dataset2. Is it possible?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hello @Neerajkchoudhary, as long as both datasets are being utilized in the same analysis, I don’t particularly see why this wouldn’t be possible. If you map the dataset parameters to the analysis, and manage the default value with DDP, it should alter the default for both datasets. I think you are on the right track here.