Issue with decimal formatting in latitude and longitude Fields on QuickSight Points on maps

Hi, QuickSight Community.

I have encountered an issue where the latitude and longitude fields, designated as such in QuickSight, are not displaying correctly on map visualizations. Instead of displaying full numerical values, the coordinates are shown in a reduced decimal format, resulting in improper visualization.

For example, a latitude and longitude like 37.4704669 and 126.7002092, respectively, are displayed on the map as 0.0375N and 0.12711E. This causes the points to appear almost superimposed, giving the impression of a significantly reduced scale.

It seems that the values that should be expressed in tens or hundreds are being displayed in a compressed decimal form. Could anyone shed light on the cause of this issue and suggest possible solutions to correct the display format?

Hello @9haeng !

A few quick background questions, 1) What data source are you using and 2) how are those fields set up in the data prep layer before you pulled the dataset into an analysis?

This will help me understand if the issue is coming from the analysis or from how the data is coming into the analysis.

1 Like

Hi @duncan ! Thanks for replying :slight_smile:

Iā€™m using datasource [Athena (SPICE based on custom query) + .csv custom file]
and I chose each latitude, longitude field as Quicksight latitude, longitude data type.

There was no issue with plotying correct coords visual charts until last week, however I guess It certainly happened without any modifying.

Best regards,

Alex

@duncan

Attaching images would be much more helpful, so here are some!

The coordinates I input into the geospatial chart are related to South Korea, so they should be displayed correctly on the map. However, the coordinates are being treated as floating points, resulting in them appearing on an ironically distorted map in the chart.

Try changing your decimal point upto 7 in map

Hi, @ali

I changed the decimal point options up to 7 as you mentioned, however there was no change on my visuals unfortunately.

Thank you for letting us know. I would recommend filing a case with AWS Support where we can dive into the details so that we can help you further. Here are the steps to open a support case. If your company has someone who manages your AWS account, you might not have direct access to AWS Support and will need to raise an internal ticket to your IT team or whomever manages your AWS account. They should be able to open an AWS Support case on your behalf. Hope this helps!