KPI Measure based on being below a number/percent

I have a KPI which displays our PD (portfolio predicted default rate). We want our PD to be as low as possible, and our requirement (or minimum target) is 5%. How can i display my ‘Target Value’ to be 5%, but measure it that anything below 5% is good? So instead of having to be above this target, i need to be below?

Hi @HarveyB-B – Yes, there are several ways to do comparison of your KPI against a threshold.
Some ways to configure KPI comparisons in QuickSight include:

1. Choosing from preset layouts like sparklines, progress bars etc. that visually depict how close the actual value is to the target.
  2. Customizing the title, values displayed and comparison method like difference or percentage.
  3. Applying conditional formatting to change colors/icons of the actual value based on it being above or below target.
  4. Setting the target value manually or linking it to a dataset field for dynamic targets.
  5. Editing advanced properties through the QuickSight API like comparison format and text styling.

You can use conditional formatting as shown in screenshot below to play around with these as well. Does this help?
Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 9.37.44 AM

The conditional formatting helps a lot. However i do want to display a percentage difference between the target value (5%), and the actual value (which is sitting around 2-3%). Similar to the image you provided, how can i show the percentage difference in green, and then the current value and measure value underneath? Or is this not possible?

Overall, i need some sort of comparison or target value - making what we see more useful - for the KPI so it’s not a standalone number

@HarveyB-B – Does this directions help? Conditional formatting section addresses your ask.

Not entirely. I think what i need is more simpler. What i have done is created another visual which is the difference between my pd, and the target. So if the target is 5%, and we have 3.85%, the field will show 1.15%. Since this is greater than 0, i have assigned it to be green. If it is less than 0, i have assigned it red. And then i have changed format layout to free-form, and moved this field above the kpi, so it looks something like this

Awesome! Thanks for sharing… Looks good.

Thanks for the help, i’ll mark as solution since the conditional formatting helped show if the number is positive or negative (green/red).

1 Like